Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deals Gap & my Ultra...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deals Gap & my Ultra...

Got back from vacation on Sat from Pigeon Forge, Tn and a vist to Deals Gap to ride the Dragon. Covered 1,966.3 FLAWLESS miles on my 07 Ultra. Left NY with around 1,700 miles on the odometer, I already had the 1000 mile service completed and had installed the oil temp gauge. Weather copuld not have been better NO RAIN and the outside temps got to 90. I am pleased to say that I only experienced heat issues on a couple days when stuck in traffic. For the most part oil temps ran just under the the 230 degree mark on the highway and took some time to get there. Temps did climb to just below the 260 degree mark a few times while stuck in traffice on 441 entering Gatlinberg and Pigeon Forge and then when I got stuck in traffic on the main drag through PF (441 called the Parkway), but wasn't all that bad. Remember guys and gals my Ultra is STOCK with only Syn 3 added to the 3 holes at the 1000.

My Ultra ran GREAT IMO and served me well. Everything worked the tranny is smooth, no 5th gear whine. I ran between 70 and 85 mph most of the trip, closer to 70 in Virgina, but saw very few (almost none) of my fellow LEOs the entire trip. We traversed the 81, The Blueridge Pkwy, 411 6...something or other??? and several other back roads on this trip.

The Dragon was a hoot, first time for me on a Harley, I the Dragon in '03 onmy '02BMW K1200LT and did it a little faster back then. I was a little more causious this time around, but the Ultra was a blast going through the 318 curves in 2nd and third...mostly 2nd!

All in All a great vacation, can't wait for my next LONG ride....

Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Deals Gap & my Ultra...

Deal's Gap is great!!!

Have you checked for your picture on killboy or zeefoto?

Here is a shot of PhilM, hogwild03, and me on The Dragon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/998E6BB902F74595A64AF96A18735057.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Very glad THIS didn't happen to you! LOL

Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
brabbit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you make it down US129? Rode the gap last year on my sporty and had a blast, planning to go again in the fall.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ted, that video got me a little ticked off. The rider obviously should not have tried to pass, his mistake, but that vehicle should have stopped. What if the rider was injured to the point he could not have rode on a buddies bike to a hospital? It didn't look that bad, but you just never know. I am not blaming you, but that car should have stopped to help. @ssholes.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back myself from this area. Combined the Natchez Trace with Deals Gap and Maggie Valley, inlcuding theSmokies.Hit10,000 mileson theodometer this trip.My 07 EG Classic ran flawlessly.

Check your pics out on Killboy. I had a couple of good ones takenwhile riding the Dragon. Having them framed this week.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

Nothing on Killboy and Zee has only pics up from the 2nd, so I sit and wait. I'm hoping for Zee, as I saw their van parked at one of the Gap's curves and the photog was snapping away. Got my fingers crossed...

Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Retired Ted, man that video damn near made me sick to my stomach. Gawd, I hate to see that happen to a biker. It does not matter if he was stupid or not. And yeah, the azzhole in the cage left the scene saying he would have stopped if there had been a place to pull over. MF'r and then he posts his video. I assume that was not you doing the filming. CHIT.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the Gap. Will be there again in Oct. And my two cent on the video I also agree the cage should have stopped and give a hand also.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Rode the Dragon last Tuesday, the 3rd of July. Great day, fantastic ride. Went down the Dragon, then out 28 to 19 to Cherokee. Then took the Parkway thru to Townsend.

Stayed at Mom's, 130 miles away... Put over 3000 miles on the 07 Ultra in under a week. What a blast..

Looking for photos on both sites...hope they are there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deals Gap & my Ultra...