Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product Review - J&M Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Product Review - J&M Audio

Can't remember if I posted this before - so here goes...

J&M Audio Products
-Shorty Antennas
-High Performance Speakers

My ride is an ’06 Ultra Classic. I ride with a group such that I fly 3’ x 5’ flags from my bike. These were problematic with the standard whip antennas used for radio and CB reception, so an alternative was sought. Found was a new product from J&M Audio that was perfect – designed to be a single item number replacement for both antennas. Just over a foot high, but with full size reception. Short enough to not interfere with the flags (or, more correctly for the flags not to interfere with the antennas – and rip them off).
- Added bonus #1 – no more scraping the garage door when putting the bike away
- Added Bonus #2 – great looks
- Added Bonus #3 – great reception.

For about $40 for each antenna, they are a simple replacement that performs well and look great. Installation is as easy as loosening the set screw on the stock antennas, unthreading, threading the new ones on and tighten the set screw. Reception is great. Radio reception is almost too good – the shorty antenna pulls in the fringe stations, which can bleed over to near-frequency stations in some locations. Distance from source is much improved over stock. The CB comes in loud and clear, tested with ranges varying to more than a mile. Transmissions are said to also be clear. And the SWR test showed the pre-set the product claims is very good, tested on channels 3, 9, 19 and 35. The only comment is the set screws began to rust almost immediately – oh, well, a dab of paint solved that issue. Item# for 89-07 Ultra Tour-Pak mount is HRUP-ATM. Also available is a rail mount version for other HD models.

Also tested at the same time were a full set of four replacement speakers. These speakers are simply amazing – with no other changes made to the system (all stock Advanced Audio System, as is standard), the sound is vastly improved. Full surrounding sound is achieved, with the most complete stereo separation this side of headphones – and remember, this is on a bike that doesn’t have exactly quiet pipes – and at expressway speeds (OK, maybe a little faster at times). The front speakers put a chrome tweeter at the top of the grill. The treble is very crisp and the bass, using the fairing as a sound box, coming thru deep and clear. Coupled with the back speakers and the proper fader setting, the sound seems to be coming from inside your head. If you use the chrome trim rings around your speakers – never fear, no reduction of chrome necessary – the trim rings fit with these speakers.

The speakers tested were specifically for the 2006 and 2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic that requires 2-ohm resistance. However, J&M makes equivalent speakers for other touring models that are of the same advanced design, just fitted for the other models and with the proper resistance. Item# depends on year and model – see their website for fitment.

[font=arial][size=2]This is an easy recomme

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM
two dogs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Product Review - J&M Audio

must be an employ of Johns

Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Sc0ut
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: two dogs

why do you say that?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, why would you say that?
ORIGINAL: two dogs

Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the shorty antennas on my Ultra. I like the look but they do not pick up stations as good as the whips.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

It has been suggested that I clarify where I am coming from regarding these reviews...

I freelance as a product review writer for a women's mortorcycling magazine - as a volunteer (i.e. not paid).

I do not work for any of the companies whose products I review. I simply post my opinions of what I feel are useful products that others may not have heard about and might be interested in.

Just like the majority of other threads - this is passing alongone person's thoughtson certain products - nothing more, nothing less - maybe just in a little more formal fashion.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Romaninaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bogiediver...I have been reading what I can on the forum about J&M, Hogtunes and Hawgwired. I haven't decided yet on which one. Have you had any experience with the other sound options and what you might think of them. So far it seems most people are happy with any of these choices.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate you sharing you review!

Marc - I've had J&M's in several bikes ofver the years and really liked them. They are great speaker and are a vast improvement over stock. I finally decided I wanted to add some real power to my sound system and went with a Hawg-Wired system. Mine is a two channel amp & speakers. It would be TOTALLY unfair to try to compare the Hawg-Wired system to the others, as it has POWER and IT FLAT AZZ ROCKs!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Romaninaz-

I Have no personal experience with another sound option on my bike (other than stock of course)... I am aware of Hogtunes thru a chapter member that has the bar mounted speakers on her Heritage. Sound good. But no direct experience on the fairing style.

Sorry...

Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My son and I just repalced the Factory Speakers in his fairing on his '05 EG. Man what a difference the J&M make! We like our music loud and the J&M sure do supply great sound quality with plenty of volume. 20 minute replacement too.

Quick Reply: Product Review - J&M Audio