Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD (Garmin) Quest GPS

Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default HD (Garmin) Quest GPS

I'm considering the Garmin Quest (same as HD Quest) or Quest 2 (HD Conquest) as a low-cost alternative to the more-current Zumo products. I don't really need a GPS, but would like one, and $200 is more justifiable than $500 (Zumo 450) or $700 (Zumo 550).

Does anyone have the Quest or Quest 2 (Conquest) on their bikes? Here are some questions:

1. Can the display be easily seen in direct sunlight?

2. If you bought the non-HD Garmin-branded GPS, how did you connect it to the bike? I've found that the HD mounting kits will not fit the Garmin-branded GPS, so that's out. I'm looking at Ram and Cycoactive mounts.

What is your overall impression of the unit on the bike? Any input would be helpful.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HD (Garmin) Quest GPS

Good post Iclick, I am in the same boat as you, would just like to have one but dont really want to drop 700 bucks on one. So lets hear it folks, or another alternative like a 2610 etc.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a quest II NOT HD and the used both the handlebar mount and fairing mounts and they work FINE!

you can see the screen perfect in sun light i love it.

I bought the HD handlebar mount kit for their quests and it works fine (I just dont have the power on it and use battery only . I have purchased (not installed yet ) the fairing mount and the craddle and will be installing it soon. a friend has the same set up and I can confirm it works fine. It is 100% the same model as the HD one only not black and doesnt say HD on it. NO DIFFERENCE!

all the mounts fit and work fine with it. dont let a parts guy tell you they are different. the only thing that is not is the pre loaded hd locations in the search file but that is easily downloaded and your exactly the same.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Motor Head
Cruiser

I currently have the HD Conquest on my bike and love it. It has a great display and is easy use. I used the HD mounting bracket, so that was no issue.

Before buying this unit, I tried to mount my old Garmin StreetPilot III using a RAM mount. The mount worked fine, but the vibrations kept freezing up the unit.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

the first trip to HD stealer locally i was told they do not fit and they wanted me to buy the new unit WITH the fairing mount kit. I went to another dealer and found a guy at a parts desk who has the same NON harley unit i have and showed me on his bike them side by side and then ordered me the parts I needed to get mine to work. the main thing is the CRADDLE! thats the piece that is included in the package deal but can be ordered seperate to help your non hd unit fit the slip in fairing mount setup.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are exactly right. I bought the quest for around $300 and the fairing mount for about $40. before that I had it on my rk with a ram mount. On the fairing mount I bought the audio cable that plugs into you radio. It works fine. The only problem I had was not seeing the release on the mount itself. You have to look for it. But the visibility is fine. When I get close to a turn or destination I switch to aux on radio and get voice directions.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

i use the earplug for voice if i think i need it. otherwise i just use the screen and watch. I dont have a radio but will remember this when i install that next

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smitty0128
i have a quest II NOT HD and the used both the handlebar mount and fairing mounts and they work FINE!
This is all very interesting, as I just got off the phone with Garmin and was told the non-HD Quest would not work with the HD mounts, as the hardware in the HD kits are proprietary. I guess the key is powering the unit, which must not be possilble without buying one of the HD GPS packages. Can you or someone else verify this?

I bought the HD handlebar mount kit for their quests and it works fine (I just dont have the power on it and use battery only . I have purchased (not installed yet ) the fairing mount and the craddle and will be installing it soon. a friend has the same set up and I can confirm it works fine.
I don't think I want to go that route, as I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the fairing. I might want to move the GPS to another bike, and a hole would be a problem. I like the location using the handlebar mount, as it is closer and looks like it wouldn't block anything I might want to see (e.g., gauges or mirror) or hear (speaker).

all the mounts fit and work fine with it. dont let a parts guy tell you they are different. the only thing that is not is the pre loaded hd locations in the search file but that is easily downloaded and your exactly the same.
Where do you download the HD locations from?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You wont get a quest for 200. With mounting hardware and tax expect to pay at least 700.00

Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

POI files for the HD dealership are available by doing a google search or I even remember seeing one linked here somewhere when i got mine.

and I agree about the costs. After all the mounts and adds and the quest its probably near the cost of the GPS and PACKAGE with HD. The only reason i did it was because i already had the unit for my car before the HD one came out (was a gift) and it just was easier to buy the extra stuff to use it. But if you buying new and then going to buy the stuff to get it work - just buy the HD model. USED maybe!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD (Garmin) Quest GPS