Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin or wooden beads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM
bigbean78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheepskin or wooden beads?

I'm considering getting either a wooden bead or sheepskin seat pad for my EGC. I can ride for quite a while before I need to take a break, but when I do my rear and backs of my thighs are damp with sweat. [:'(]I know a lot of you guys use the sheepskin from alaskaleather but I'm curious about the wood beads. Opinions?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default RE: Sheepskin or wooden beads?

I have a sheepskin cover with a gel pad under it on a stock seat. No problems with heat or cold and it is comfortable.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have used the beads but the sheepskin does work.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used beads with good results for many years as they DO allow more air flow... In fact ya don't want them on in the winter time!!! And cheaper!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

try a genuine leather chamois skin. $15 at Wallyworld. Increases the surface tension of the seat simulating a Corbin and also wicks away moisture keeping you dryer.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

The beads work

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Met this old timer biker passing thruat a barwho rides coast to coast regularly and noticed his bead seat.Hetalked me in to them and now my wife and Iare the last ones in our rider group to get tired butt, used to be the first. Like them because they are easy to store in bike when not needed. http://www.motorcyclelighting.com/beaded-seats.html

Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

I have used beads with good results for many years as they DO allow more air flow... In fact ya don't want them on in the winter time!!! And cheaper!
But the sheepskin can be warmer in the winter.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
DynaSport
Advanced

I live in Florida and the beads have been great to me. They really help with the heat. To me it is not that they make the seat more comfortable, it is that they allow better air flow and I don't sweat as bad. Mine stay on the bike all the time in summer. I haven't had them through the winter yet. We'll see then. If you are not sure, you can get some cheap ones from Wal-Mart and cut them down just to see if you'll like them. OTOH, I bought mine from beadrider.com and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
plamb
Advanced

I have both. The beads cost me about $7 at Wal-Mart (for a car), and about 30 minutes to trim it down to custom fit. One was easily big enough to make one for my driver and passenger seats. Used them last year in Vegas though the desert (we saw 115 degrees on three days). They worked great, but after about 5-6 hours, they started to feel a little hard. They did, however, do the job and the airflow kept either of us from sweating our asses off ...

I got a real sheepskin from a friend. Cost me $0. It is much more comfortable for the long haul, but I haven't used it in extreme heat yet.

I carry both regularly, but only get them out if I'm going to be on the bike for several hours at a time. I don't like the look of either for normal around town riding.

Quick Reply: Sheepskin or wooden beads?