Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer quoted me, is this really what I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 AM
bowhnter7
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer quoted me, is this really what I need?

I am trying to decide between the wheels or pipes for my second upgrade purchase on my 07 SG. Had the dealler quote me some Rhinhart T/D's and what he thought I needed. Here it is.

Rhinehart TD
SE A/C kit
EFI Race tuner kit
kit, EFI race tuner
4 hour labor
shop supplies
2 hours dyno time

about $2200

Seems like allot for some sound and a bit of performance. I am so confussed about all the different ways you can go with the exhaust. What would I need to do if I just went with some slip ons, do I need all of the rest of what he quoted me, oh and what is the SERT everyone is talking about?

Thanks
Guys.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealer quoted me, is this really what I need?

SERT = Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
No, you do not need all of that. But that is what a lot of people do. do that labor yourself and save a ton!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

Hey Bow,
It is so funny that you can get soooo many different opinions !
I was at my shop last night droping of my 07 Ultra which at the
momment is still bone stock. I told them I just bought a set of
the older Screaming Eagle one piece slip-ons (from a member
here) and was going to install them. I told them I know I do not
have to do anything if I just add the slip-onsbut I asked if I do
one of the high flow air cleaners also which EFI unit did they
recommend. Well I was blown away with their answer ......
They told me even with the slip-ons & the A/C the STOCK
EFI unit will readjust it self and no special EFI or down load
was needed. Now they did say if I was looking for more power
an EFI unit would be needed. Personally the power of the stock
motor is fine for me and I was just looking for more of the old
HD rumble but not way too loud.
Rob .....

Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer

I also got a quote from my dealer for the Rinehart TD's along with SE air cleaner and a SERT. They quoted me $2000 for this setup. After hearing the Rinehart exhaust and finding out that it effected the low end torque, I elected to go with SE touring mufflers (64985-07A), SE air cleaner and the SERT. I was very pleased with the results after having this installed at my 1000 mile service. I had a 5HP increase along with an additional 5 lbs of torque without any loss in low end torque. The engine is running cooler and smoother and my fuel mileage increased from 43-45mpg to 46mpg. BONUS !!!!!!! My total bill from the dealer was $1750, which included not only the Stage 1 upgrade, but also the 1000 mile service. Was able to save half what it would have cost me if I went with the true dual exhaust system. I'm also pleased with the sound of the SE exhaust. Throatier than stock, but not too loud like some of the other systems out there.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but yes the O2 sensors will adjust for some changes with the stock ecm, but it will not change air/fuel ratio. If you are looking to help cool the engine down or manage curves, you will need to change the ratio via a controller of some type. It could be a SERT, PCIII, DTT or one of many others.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Cannon00000
Tourer

I have a good friend at a local dealership who can not emphasize enough that their quotes ARE negotiable. Tell them you had another shop quote you $1800, but you really want to take it to them. Then ask if they can do any better. Most dealers will easily go as much as 10% and often as high as 20% off all all the hardware, and will always drop the labor some.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
bowhnter7
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hogwallop

I also got a quote from my dealer for the Rinehart TD's along with SE air cleaner and a SERT. They quoted me $2000 for this setup. After hearing the Rinehart exhaust and finding out that it effected the low end torque, I elected to go with SE touring mufflers (64985-07A), SE air cleaner and the SERT. I was very pleased with the results after having this installed at my 1000 mile service. I had a 5HP increase along with an additional 5 lbs of torque without any loss in low end torque. The engine is running cooler and smoother and my fuel mileage increased from 43-45mpg to 46mpg. BONUS !!!!!!! My total bill from the dealer was $1750, which included not only the Stage 1 upgrade, but also the 1000 mile service. Was able to save half what it would have cost me if I went with the true dual exhaust system. I'm also pleased with the sound of the SE exhaust. Throatier than stock, but not too loud like some of the other systems out there.
This may be what I am looking for. I basically liked the looks of the Rhinharts and they sounded good also. Just a bit shocked at the price. Heck I can almost bet my wheels and tires I want for that much. I just wanted a bit more sound and performance with a good looking pipe.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

WE DO THAT JOB FOR AROUND $1800.00.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did the Stage I on my 07 Road Glide last night.

Rinehart slip-ons $409
V&H Fuelpack $199
SE a/c with K&N filter (taken off my previous Street Glide) FREE
Miscellaneous parts/items needed $7
About 1.5 hours of my labor FREE
Beverages to relax and cool me while I worked $6

Total: $621

Depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. They can sell you everything in the world if they convince you that you need it. You need to really look at what you are after in the long-term. I knew I had no intentions of doing any engine work for quite a while so the Fuelpak is just fine for me. Saved a ton on a tuner and dyno tuning.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM
bowhnter7
Banned

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Just did the Stage I on my 07 Road Glide last night.

Rinehart slip-ons $409
V&H Fuelpack $199
SE a/c with K&N filter (taken off my previous Street Glide) FREE
Miscellaneous parts/items needed $7
About 1.5 hours of my labor FREE
Beverages to relax and cool me while I worked $6

Total: $621

Depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. They can sell you everything in the world if they convince you that you need it. You need to really look at what you are after in the long-term. I knew I had no intentions of doing any engine work for quite a while so the Fuelpak is just fine for me. Saved a ton on a tuner and dyno tuning.
What is the Fuelpack?
So your saying I don't need the tuner? I also don't plan on any engine mods.

I got a 1000k service coming, they do some dyno in that service. If I got theslip on'sand the A/C done before the service, would ajustments be able to be made by them in the dyno process to adjust for the slip on's and A/C, or is that only what the "tuner" does?

They can sell anything to people like me that are new and uninformed, the parts guys at my dealer work on commission. This is where you guys are helping out a ton and I appreciate it allot. Like I said I really only want a bit more sound, looksand if I get a bit more perfomance out of it great, but I have had many sport bikes and I don't need the speed anymore. I really want the aftermarket wheels, that's gonna run me about $3K total, so I really don't want to spend $2200 on pipes if I don't need to, but then again I want to do it right the first time and not waste money doing it twice because I was not happy with what I got.

Quick Reply: Dealer quoted me, is this really what I need?