Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
rollover
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tire replacement

Need to replace the rear tire on my 06 Ultra and was quoted $250 at the dealer today. Seems like a lot for a rear tire, especially on a bike. I went to American Motorcycle Tire and saw they have the D402 for $116. Seeing as the tire is tubeless, there should be no need for tire strips, right? Thinking of doing the replacement myself. Seeing as I did the 95" kit with gear driven cams myself, I would think changing a tire would be a piece of cake. Anyone who has done this, any advice?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: rear tire replacement

Yes do it your self! If you can redo your top end,a rear tire change iscake.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
rollover
Road Captain

I kind of thought so. With shipping, the tire will be $127 to the house. I will use a c-clamp as a bead breaker andwill check the local auto parts store for tire irons and rim protectors. I figure I will mark the current placement of the rear axle before removing which should get me where I need to be upon replacement. Should be able to use the rear axle and some blocks to figure out placement of wheel weights for balancing purposes. Does this sound like I am on the right track?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put a new rear tire on last week, and it is very easy to do.

$108 for the tire at the local dealer, and they charged me $45 to mount&balance it on the rim and dispose the old one and of course state tax. Picked up a new pair of rear brake pads for $42 and put those in while I had it apart. When it was all added up, it cost me $200 for the new rear tire and brake pads...........and I did all the work myself in about 1 hour total.

Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Usually if you use the same type tire they are not to bad for being out of balance. Be sure tread is in right direction and dot on tire is at air valve and all should be fine. I usually take my wheel off and take it and tire to one of the neighborhood shops and they change it for about $20. Saves alot of time and money. Good luck either way.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
rollover
Road Captain

I'll have to check the local dealer for the tire price. I will look at the brake pads but the bike has just over 10k and almost all of that is highway so they should be good. Any other tips Steve?
ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

I just put a new rear tire on last week, and it is very easy to do.

$108 for the tire at the local dealer, and they charged me $45 to mount&balance it on the rim and dispose the old one and of course state tax. Picked up a new pair of rear brake pads for $42 and put those in while I had it apart. When it was all added up, it cost me $200 for the new rear tire and brake pads...........and I did all the work myself in about 1 hour total.

Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced the front once and the rear once myself. No problems. I will never again pay any one to do it.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Gonna use theDunlop D402 which is what is presently on the bike. Guess I won't pull the wheel weights until I get the new tire on. Pretty much only shop in town is the local HD shop. Shouldn't be too hard to replace. I look at it as a learning experience. LOL

ORIGINAL: flashprez

Usually if you use the same type tire they are not to bad for being out of balance. Be sure tread is in right direction and dot on tire is at air valve and all should be fine. I usually take my wheel off and take it and tire to one of the neighborhood shops and they change it for about $20. Saves alot of time and money. Good luck either way.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
two dogs
Cruiser

Take it off yourself and carry to stealer to mount and balance should be about $20.00, Yamaha shop down the street charged me $20.00 for both wheels.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Local dealer wants $169 plus tax for the tire.

Quick Reply: rear tire replacement