Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot ultra?

I had an oilstick with temp installed when I purchased the bike. During breakin over first 600 miles, I saw temps on 95 degree days 292 max and mostly in the 280's.

I did d & d fatcats 2-1, ANBS, and TMAX at 600 miles and rode this way until 1000 mile service recently. Mileage around 33 mpg and temps around 272 on oil.

At 1000 miles went with amsoil and also installed harley prem oil cooler. Today rode for about one hour in 95 degree heat and high humidity (heat index over 100) and got 249 temp on oil.

Do tthe current temps sound like they are in line? I have read about people with oil coolers in hot temps staying closer to 200

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: hot ultra?

WOW... Mileage dropped that much???
After my Stage 1 and changing to AMSOIL - went through temps 115+ and the hottest mine got (no oil cooler) 261 degrees.. About 10 degrees hotter then my son's '05 RKS and friends '01 RKC both with coolers..

Avg fuel mileage with the '07 42 mpg

Your temps seem about normal @ temp & humidity

Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be the difference in humidity. out here in Idaho it gets up in the 110+ but near zero humidity compared to you all in the south.

On my '07 UC I installed AN BS, V&H Ovals, HD premium oil cooler, RJs heat shields and Mobil 1 V-twin syn oil. Installed a SERT with a dyno run to richen the AFR up a bit.

With my digital temp guage, riding on trips two up and loaded to the max in extreme heat the hottest of days, I've never gotten over 230 degrees. Get on the average between 38-40 MPG.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Unless you're doing alot of hot rodding or riding in traffic, that gas mileage is pretty bad.
Your temps are high also unless it is in town riding. Sounds like tuning is off.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
gjbedna
6th Gear

How do you know the accuracy of the oil temp gauge? You should check the case with a non-contact IR thermometer to be sure. If you hadn't put the temp dipstick in, would you really have noticed any difference and went and spent all that money and time to cool off your bike and lose the mileage? Really, a drop of a few degrees is not that critical. (Oh yeah, if it gets over 300 degrees it breaks down, etc etc.) Also, as the bike breaks in, things will loosen up a bit--your ME (mechanical efficiency) will go up and result in more power, economy and cooler temps, oh, but nobody gives it a chance. Run out and spends thousands "cooling off "your bike (don't forget the AMSOIL!!). How accurate do you think the other guy's temp reading are? What about weather and riding styles? All this is SOOOOO relative as to be relegated to the imaginary. Yes, there is heat from my 07 Ultra--it's a 96in AIR COOLED motor!! The heat--most of it--dissipates in the surrounding air!! It was designed by engineers and PHDs, not weekend mechanics. No, it's not perfect, but it's not defective either. Don't buy the stupid temp dipstick and ride it--it won't explode, really it won't.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gjbedna

How do you know the accuracy of the oil temp gauge? You should check the case with a non-contact IR thermometer to be sure. If you hadn't put the temp dipstick in, would you really have noticed any difference and went and spent all that money and time to cool off your bike and lose the mileage? Really, a drop of a few degrees is not that critical. (Oh yeah, if it gets over 300 degrees it breaks down, etc etc.) Also, as the bike breaks in, things will loosen up a bit--your ME (mechanical efficiency) will go up and result in more power, economy and cooler temps, oh, but nobody gives it a chance. Run out and spends thousands "cooling off "your bike (don't forget the AMSOIL!!). How accurate do you think the other guy's temp reading are? What about weather and riding styles? All this is SOOOOO relative as to be relegated to the imaginary. Yes, there is heat from my 07 Ultra--it's a 96in AIR COOLED motor!! The heat--most of it--dissipates in the surrounding air!! It was designed by engineers and PHDs, not weekend mechanics. No, it's not perfect, but it's not defective either. Don't buy the stupid temp dipstick and ride it--it won't explode, really it won't.
apperantly you havn't rode yours enough to experiance the heat. spend some time reading all the posts about the heat issue. their are people complaining about 3rd degree burns because they are so hot. give it time my friend

Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
gjbedna
6th Gear

3rd degree burns? I have had some--not from the Ultra (yet). I think I would be getting off long before I felt my skin melting. Once again, forum hearsay. Hot? Yes. 3rd degree burns from the surrounding air? Unlikely. Hot? Yes. Time for the Revolution in the FLs?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser

Thanks to those who responded with supportive words. Gbenda, what is your problem? I didn't run off and spend a lot of money or make changes without thought. I have been on this site following the heat issues and remedies for it for a long time, months before I decided to buy an Ultra. I know the dipstick might not be exactly accurate, but it is a good benchmark if used scientifically (e.g., readings before bike changes and readings now). I do have a Ph.D. but not in motorcycle engineering. Take your grumpy *** comments down the road please.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
BigMoHog
Intermediate

Got a jagg oil cooler on mine, keeps it up off the road. My temps have not gotten over 220. Checked it just yesterday, the air temp was 101. You are going in the right direction with the oil cooler. Syn oil is one of the best things you can do also. Having your bike in good tune will help also.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM
dagnabit9
Cruiser

I did the Stage I on mine and took the lowers off for the summer. That made a big difference!! Temps are around 240-250 (I'm in New Mexico). And, for what it's worth, I have one of those dipstick thermometers too andin my experience with thermocouples (the active ingredient in the dipstick), they do tend to be pretty accurate. They don't drift and are repeatable. When one goes bad, it stops working - period!

Quick Reply: hot ultra?