Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Ultra Radios

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 PM
SparkyRKM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Ultra Radios

Can anyone tell me if an Ultra Classic radio (2003 and newer) will easily wire up into a 1998 to 2002 Ultra? (I want to replace the cassette player radio with a CD player radio.) If so, where do I start looking for a used H-D radio of this vintage? I asked at the dealer and they want to sell me a brand new radio for over $1,000 plus$400 min. labor. I also looked into third party radios and discovered it is practicallyimpossible toconnect them up tothe handlebar switches. Hey, ifan older H-D model radio will work, and they are available at a reasonable price, I will do it myself. Any suggestionsfrom you experts out there? Thanks, Russ.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Used Ultra Radios

The radios show up on ebay regularly.

As for an aftermarket headunit, if you buy a Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface unit you will retain handlebar controls of the headunit, but without a CB function. Either will provide a plug and play alternative and many forum members have made this swap. Cost is roughly $400: $150 for the interface unit, $50 for the headunit mounting, and ~$150 for the Sony headunit.

As for the 03-05 radio swap, both your radio and the 03-05 have two plugs from the wiring harness that plug into the back of the radio: a Base Audio Connector (which is also found on the Classic) and the Ultra radio connection that has the wiring for the rear speakers, passenger controls, etc. Your console pod also has some radio controls that are not on the '03-05 console. If you don't care about the CB, the '03-05 is probably a plug and play swap. To be sure, phone Radio Sound, Inc. the OEM supplier to HD. Just google Radio Sound for the phone number--I'll try to find it and add it to the post.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used Ultra Radios

I have the aftermarket Sony kit from Biketronics as well, and have to say I'm pretty satisfied with it! I also added the Sirius satelite module under the fairing as well. All work great.

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The radios show up on ebay regularly.

As for an aftermarket headunit, if you buy a Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface unit you will retain handlebar controls of the headunit, but without a CB function. Either will provide a plug and play alternative and many forum members have made this swap. Cost is roughly $400: $150 for the interface unit, $50 for the headunit mounting, and ~$150 for the Sony headunit.

As for the 03-05 radio swap, both your radio and the 03-05 have two plugs from the wiring harness that plug into the back of the radio: a Base Audio Connector (which is also found on the Classic) and the Ultra radio connection that has the wiring for the rear speakers, passenger controls, etc. Your console pod also has some radio controls that are not on the '03-05 console. If you don't care about the CB, the '03-05 is probably a plug and play swap. To be sure, phone Radio Sound, Inc. the OEM supplier to HD. Just google Radio Sound for the phone number--I'll try to find it and add it to the post.