Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio cuts out for no reason?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 AM
WHOSNEXT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cuts out for no reason?

Has anyone have had the same problem? Going down the road and the radio turns off and a couple of seconds later turns back on? Went to dealer and they said they never heard of such a thing?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio cuts out for no reason?

Battery cables loose! Get emtight, it won't happen again.I've seen it about 5 times this season already. The dealers are horses *****!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

One time, a couple months ago, I was riding along and the speakers went out. The radio seemed to be working, when I tried to adjust the volume, the bars moved as normal. Channels would change too. Just no sound at all. I stopped and was fussing with the fuses when the sound came back on it's own (I don't think I did anything). Hasn't happened since but I'll bet it will at some point.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
WHOSNEXT
Cruiser

if the Battery cables were loose wouldn't i loose power to the whole bike? I'm just loosing power to the radio system, just powers down and then back up?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
ToadsUltra07
Cruiser

Sorry, Ive gotta laugh.Just like you, and many others out there, I spent about 29K on my bike plus extras. And having some serious quirks with my bike as well. Guess it builds character. Well back to your question.

Yes, I am having problems with my radio as well.

Not only would it turn on, and off by itself, it was doing the following things:

1) Change modes of listening, AM, FM, CD, WB, and XM radio.
2) Clock would advance itself 1hour and up to 4 hours all by itself. (guess it was a new form of daylight savings radio)
3) While changing modes of listening. It would also change channels, and scan the frequencys up and down.
4) You had to manually switch through all the modes for it to finally subside some. It rarely cured the problem at the time.

Problem IsBeing Solved:

1) After taking the bike to the shop, and they took 3 1/2 hours working on it the first day,and said it was fixed, and I went out and tested it. Sure enough, it acted as if it was fixed. At this time, it was a pinched wire. They were nice enough to take me back and show me where it was pinched on the housing switch.
You guessed it, next day getting up, fired up the bike, and it started all over again.

2) Called the dealership, spoke to the tech. Explained hey, guess what, radio is possessed. Can you fix the d@mned thing.
Two service techs, spent 8 hours this past Friday, and 7 hours Saturday. In which, they dont make any extra money while working on the bike. Most techs while working on your bike putting extras on, make some of that extra money that you pay $60.00 per man hour. Warranty work, theyonly make what ever the problem was, and what the book states the amount of time it takes to fix it. Re-embursed back for Harley Davidson plus there hourly wage. Now back to the problem..
After running down all the switches, wires, and finally at the very end running a diagnostic on the radio. Yes, they have a machine that they can plug into the unit, and it tells them what is wrong with the radio.
This time, the radio believes I have a side car hooked up to the Ultra Classic, and it believes that the mode switches in the side care is active, and it does not want to relinquish control to the main system, on my handle bars. This was confirmed that thiswas my radio by hooking up a test radio to all the plug in units on my system. Worked great after that.

Needless to say, I asked the BIG QUESTION, Hey Josh, HOW MANY OTHER BIKES ARE HAVING RADIO ISSUES?
Answer: Just in the past 3 weeks, they have worked on 26 radios, with various problems. One even had moisture on the inside of the display lense. All the others have had various problems with them.

They have a new radio on order for my bike. And also stated that I will not settle for a ReFurbished Radio. Was told it would not be. ReFurbished radios go into bikes that are out of warranty. And told them thank you. Brand new radio will be delivered in about 2 to 3 weeks. I will be checking packing slips, and s/n on the radio to confirm that this is brand new.

ToadsUltra07
"If yah feel froggie, JUMP!"