Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL PAK ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCE THIS????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Dragracer_30
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL PAK ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCE THIS????

Need some help guys. i purchased fuel pak. new in the box. the bike is a 2006 ultra classic. my muffler part numbers are 64910-99. i believe those are screaming eagle mufflers. I have SE a/c. HD shop scanned bike and told me i had stage one download 34409-06. there was not a FP number to match my set up in vance and hines book. So I called vance hines. and they told me to use FP-0456. So I did. Bike fired right up. ran perfect. rode about 15 to 18 miles. engine started to lose power. and quit. when i tried to restart the bike smoke was really pouring out the exhaust. and had a strong smell of gas. Bike would not start. I un-plugged the fuel pak. plugged the original ecu back up. after a few seconds of restarting the bike fired up. seemed to be flooded. drove it home. i got home rechecked all my setting they were there indentical to the book settings. the fuel pak will not let the bike start now when plugged in. vance and hines gave me another FP number and it will not start as long as fuel pak is plugged in. but runs as it always has with original ecu plugged in. Vance and hines says fuel pak will not work on this bike if it has SE race tuner installed. they said the ecu when scanned would read 34409-06. if it had the race tuner. HD shop told me that is their standard download. and it is not a race tuner download. ifeel like.There is something those guys at the HD shopare not telling me. they offer to delete the download. but i did not have my fuel pak with me. and even if i had it with me. i would have been skeptical of using it being 60 miles from home. they said they had never seen but one fuel pak. not allow a bike to run. at all. and it was defective. so please give me your ideas guys. anyone running this set up. with fuel pak. thanks for your help,,,,Lance

Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FUEL PAK ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCE THIS????

Ok, there might be a little confusion going on here. If the V&H guys told you that the FuelPak would not work with the "SE race tuner" installed, they are correct. The SE race tuner or SERT is a different animal altogether than a stock ECM with the race download. You didn't say if you bought the bike new, but I'll assume you did. If you don't remember buying a SERT, but you did buy a Stage I kit for your bike, then you have the stock ECM with the race download.

If at any time you say "tuner" to V&H, they will assume you have a fully programmable ECM on your bike which will make the FuelPak useless. If all you have is the factory (HD) race download on a stock ECM, do not use the term tuner, ever. It will only confuse things.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They'er right.... The V&H FuelPak WILL NOT work if your have a SERT installed....

Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did his bike run good for 18 miles? either it works or it doesn't... maybe a bad fuel pack?

ORIGINAL: Dragracer_30

Need some help guys. i purchased fuel pak. new in the box. the bike is a 2006 ultra classic. my muffler part numbers are 64910-99. i believe those are screaming eagle mufflers. I have SE a/c. HD shop scanned bike and told me i had stage one download 34409-06. there was not a FP number to match my set up in vance and hines book. So I called vance hines. and they told me to use FP-0456. So I did. Bike fired right up. ran perfect. rode about 15 to 18 miles. engine started to lose power. and quit. when i tried to restart the bike smoke was really pouring out the exhaust. and had a strong smell of gas. Bike would not start. I un-plugged the fuel pak. plugged the original ecu back up. after a few seconds of restarting the bike fired up. seemed to be flooded. drove it home. i got home rechecked all my setting they were there indentical to the book settings. the fuel pak will not let the bike start now when plugged in. vance and hines gave me another FP number and it will not start as long as fuel pak is plugged in. but runs as it always has with original ecu plugged in. Vance and hines says fuel pak will not work on this bike if it has SE race tuner installed. they said the ecu when scanned would read 34409-06. if it had the race tuner. HD shop told me that is their standard download. and it is not a race tuner download. ifeel like.There is something those guys at the HD shopare not telling me. they offer to delete the download. but i did not have my fuel pak with me. and even if i had it with me. i would have been skeptical of using it being 60 miles from home. they said they had never seen but one fuel pak. not allow a bike to run. at all. and it was defective. so please give me your ideas guys. anyone running this set up. with fuel pak. thanks for your help,,,,Lance

Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Dragracer_30
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD shop said it was stock ECM with race download not a race tuner. Vance and hines told me it had to be a race tuner on the bike if the fuel pak would not work. i bought the bike with 6000 mile on it. the HD dealer where i went is where i purchased it and the original owner purchased it new from them. they pulled up all the work orders on the bike. it showed screaming eagle mufflers. and SE a/c installed and race download. and when they scanned it. it showed exactly that. i think the fuel pak was just a defective one. and lost it's brain. the one thing that is confusing the crap out of me is. Harley says download 34409-06 is race down load. no race tuner. Vance and hines keeps telling me that download number is race tuner! so what the heck do i do? i am going to contact Vance and Hines Monday morning. to see if they will let me return the unit so they can test it. They make a great product. but you can get a defective unit in anything. occasionally.