Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP HOW TO ADJUST FINAL BELT DRIVE!

Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Empath
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP HOW TO ADJUST FINAL BELT DRIVE!

Hello, I have a 2008 FLHX Street glide that I'm completing the 1000 mile maint on. I have the manual on order but it won't be in until September (great). I have done everything except adjust the belt. This is a different system then I have seen. I'm used to the nut and bolt configuration on bikes. This seems to have some kind of cam adjustment. Can anybody help me with the procedure to adjust this so I don't have to wait to get this done. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HELP HOW TO ADJUST FINAL BELT DRIVE!

Honestly, at 1,000 miles, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't have a belt tension gauge, you'll need one. If you do have one, check the belt. I'd bet it's pretty close to being right.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Empath
1st Gear

I have a belt tensiontool (tool that applies 10lbs of pressure to the belt)and the belt is out of spec. I find this to be pretty normal for a big belt drive bike. Most of the stretch happens in the fist few hundred miles. Usually once you get past this you are good for a very long period of time.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Empath, congrats on your new ride.

These specs apply to an 07 and I assume they will be applicable for your 08, the only thing that has changed in the back is the IDS and rear brake. Although, the IDS does have an additional bearing in the hub, I don't think the spec will change.

Belt Adjustment:

1) bike at ambient temperature
2) on side stand
3) trans in neutral
4) 1/4 - 5/16 deflection applying a10lb. force midpoint on the belt. ( there is a deflection window on the belt guard)

Belt deflection gauge # HD-35381A, if not available this procedure will work:

Push the belt upwards from the bottomwhile monitoring the top side of the belt. When the belt just starts to move as you apply upwards force, stop and check the deflection

Adjustment:

Remove the e-clip from the axle and Loosen the cone nut on the right side (1 7/16 socket) torque adapter is available #HD-47925 which allows you to work between the muffler and the wheel.If youremove the rear muffler support and hang the muffler with a bungee, you should be able to put a socket on the nut.

Once the nut is loose, slightly snug it back up.

The adjustment is performed on the left side of the axle. The cam on the left side is part of the axle. Turning the weld nut on the axle will rotate both cams against the stops on the swingarm, in turn moving the axle back and forth.

Clockwise = reduce tension
Counterclockwise = increase tension
The belt will appear to be fairly tight when adjusted correctly!!

Once the deflection is correct the axle must be torqued to 95-105 ft-lbs. Install the e-clip. Re-check the deflection.

This procedure is peformed whileHOLDING the weld nut on the left side of the axle. If the axle is allowed to turn, the deflection will change. (applying some never seize between the nut and camplate will ease up the friction while torquing the nut, which will help prevent the axle from turning. Clean excess never seize.)

Re-install right side muffler support

Good luck!!!

Streeter
07 FLHX

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Empath
1st Gear

Streeter,

Thank you so very much! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your welcome

Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

The belt on my new 1991 FXRS hadn't stretched at allafter the first 1000 miles and never needed adjusting between tire changes. The belt on my new 2007 FLHTC had stretched like a rubber band by the first 1000 miles. I wonder if this is a result of the new bikes running a narrower (cheesy) belt?

Old 08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

I cut a belt (bad rock) and replaced it with a gates.
I checked every 500 miles.
I did a tire replacment at 1500 miles on the belt and have never had to adjust it with over 4K miles on the tires.

If your getting that kinda strech, I would check it often. That seems alot for only 1000 miles.
Remember a hole is kevlar while not good it no where near as bad as a tear from the side. If you see a tear, replace the belt before you need the tow.
...gene
...gene

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I would add you can adjust the belt without removing the E-Clip. Just back off the nut. No need to remove it. IMHO..[8D]

Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Streeter, I've been trying to find where to purchase the axle nut torque adapter (HD-47925) and am not having any luck at all....can you or anyone else following this thread tell me where I can find this part? I'm about to put the new IDS on my '07 Road King Custom and it seems like this would be a good tool to have around to avoid having to remove the muffler to get to the cone nut and wheel nut for torquing.....thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP HOW TO ADJUST FINAL BELT DRIVE!