Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDS (Isolated Drive System )

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 PM
03WG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IDS (Isolated Drive System )

I have one on ordered and should be here next week.How hard or easy to install one of this device??
Any tips would be appreciated.I am planning to do it myself.

thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Puzzled
Banned
Default RE: IDS (Isolated Drive System )

Since your an ex Busa owner it is very similar to the Busa's cush drive. Installation I imagine is astraight forward bolt on.

(just sold my 00 Turbo Busa less than a month ago)

Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a piece of cake. The hardest would be realigning the belt drive. Thats how easy it is.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
gdbro4
Cruiser

When I installed my IDS, I removed the lower shock bolts, while on a lift of course. Then lifted/lowerted the wheel/arm assy. to remove the axle bolt as needed. This way you don't have to remove your slip-ons. Took me less than an hour to install.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

The only part that goes alittle beyond "bolt on" is that you need to press the new bearing onto the new pulley. If you ordered your kit from Zanotti's HD, send them a e-mail and for an additional 12 buck's, they'll press the bearing in for you. Mine will hit my door tomorrow. And although I'm not experainceing any of the clatter/noise's others have experanced with their '07's, I'm looking forward to installing this, I've heard nothing but good reports from others who have installed it, Putt

Old 08-26-2007, 04:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: gdbro4

When I installed my IDS, I removed the lower shock bolts, while on a lift of course. Then lifted/lowerted the wheel/arm assy. to remove the axle bolt as needed. This way you don't have to remove your slip-ons. Took me less than an hour to install.
For FLHX and FLHRS owners with 12" shocks you probably won't have to remove either muffler. On mine, prior to installing 12½" shocks, the 36mm socket slipped over the nut easily while on the lift. If it doesn't for you, loosen it while on the kickstand instead, which puts the axle higher related to the muffler. Loosen it using an extension to your 1/2"-drive ratchet, and once started use a crescent wrench to remove it fully. Reverse that order when you re-assemble.

On the left side, the axle should slip out without removing the muffler. If not, loosen the two rear muffler bolts so you can move it slightly as the axle moves out.

Doing the wheel removal with my present 12½" shocks is a bit tighter since the wheel drops down lower and closer to the muffler. On the right, I loosened the nut while the bike was still on the kickstand, then while on the lift loosened it the rest of the way with a crescent wrench. On the left, the axle does make contact with the muffler, so I removed the rear muffler bolts so it can be moved a bit. I also used a piece of thick flexible plastic material to protect the muffler as the axle slid out. A towel may not be sturdy enough, though. Use something that won't tear or puncture easily, yet won't scratch your muffler either.

I think those of you with 13" shocks are screwed into removing the slip-ons--unless you use gdbro4's method. I think this makes more sense because muffler removal is never a fun activity.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on a couple of days ago and it was straight forward. Just follow the instructions that come with the kit. I paid the extra money to have the bearing pressed in before it was shipped to me so I didn't have to mess with that part. Start to finish was an hour and a half with some of that spent cleaning up the wheel while it was off. The bike rides nice with the IDS added.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
thill
Novice

could someone tell me what the ids does and how it helps the noise on the 07s?i have a 07 road king custom,its also my first harley.so,i'm learning as i go along.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31263/CEA6857DAF6C4806ABAD7F9E3E75C59E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2007, 05:10 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 03WG

I have one on ordered and should be here next week.How hard or easy to install one of this device??
Any tips would be appreciated.I am planning to do it myself.

thanks
Here's the installation instructions if you want to review them

http://www.box.net/shared/jrggqkb2rb

Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glide-good info to mull over till i get mine next week, thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: IDS (Isolated Drive System )