Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Drive belt!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Drive belt!!

Hey guys, Last night I was leaving a gas station with a couple of buddies and I gunned it and then it happened, I originally thought that i accidentally slipped into neutral and then I kicked it up into second gear and reved it out again. Then my buddy behind me was yelling, "YOU BROKE YOUR BELT!!!"
2002 Road King Classic with 21,000 miles on it.
S@*T!!!!! Damn I was pissed. I pulled off the side of the road and assesed the damages. I did notice a bulge in the belt where it was torn, I'm assuming a rock worked its way in there and caused the damage. I checked the sprocket. Looks OK.

What the crappy part is for me is that I'm in the middle of losing my job. My Boss is deciding to close the business down in another week and I'm out looking for another job. Seeing that I was his only employee, I was getting paid pretty good. So now i'm gonna have to take a pay cut just so I can keep paying bills. So this definitely is not the best time for a breakdown.
I called the local dealer here and they want about $525.00 plus tax to change the belt!!!!!!! OMG!!! I figured that It might be a little expensive but not that much. Hell the belt alone costs $200.00

Has anyone here changed their own belt?? I'm probably going to try it myself. I am very mechanically inclined seeing that I am a mechanic but I've never really wrenched on my bike besides changing out my front forks for chrome ones!!

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Broken Drive belt!!

Good luck job hunting and getting it fixed. Worse case the bike sits for a little while till you get a new job and can afford to fix it. No biggie.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is not very many miles for a belt. I thought they were good for 50,000+ miles. Check around for a local indy shop that could hook you up. You can order a belt online at a discount also rather then pay the stealer.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sometimes they come in bunches.

I do know that changing the belt isn't trivial as you gotta remove several things (I sound like a mechanic, don't I?). Sounds like they are charging a few hours of labor.

according to manual:

Remove rear wheel and rear swingarm.

Remove primary chaincase assembly...

Ouch!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I've heard it's a four-hour job, so the $525 sounds about right, unfortunately. I've never had one break, knock on wood, and they can last a very long time. My last RK still has the original belt at 110k miles. It had a rock puncture very early in its life, and I repaired it using JB Weld. Yes, folks, JB Weld--not on the drain plug, but the belt--no foolin'. I removed all the rock debris, filled the hole with JB Weld, put some plastic food wrap on the inside of the belt, rolled it over the rear pulley, and let it cure for 24 hours. The pulley formed the epoxy to the correct shape and the plastic kept it from sticking to the pulley. Nine years later that repair looked like it did when first completed.

I jack the bike up and inspect the entire belt for problems like this every time I wash the bike. If you catch it early enough you'll probably have the opportunity to save the belt. However, if the puncture is near the edge the chances of a full recovery is less than a center puncture like I had.

As for the process of replacing the belt, if you have the proper tools (clutch-basket puller, etc.), you could attempt it yourself. I've never done it, so I can't help with advice on the pitfalls of that repair.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

that belt job cost my buddy $1100.00 at the local stealer ! 220 for the part.. lotsa shiiittocki to take apart including the swing arm.. entire clutch ***'y ..primary side etc .. and lotsa special tools.. Hope u got em ! His belt had 33k on it.. Slit straight across the groove like it was cut with a razor blade. the dealer did a tire 60 days earlier .. i think the mech tightened the belt too much.. and it gave way ! sometimes dealer mechanics are funny that way ! HD tech at daytona 4 yrs ago said 100k outta that belt then they recommend a change..also it is critical to have the correct tension on that som-beetch !

Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Ouch....good luck finding a new job!

Changing the belt on a Dyna.....piece of cake.......My Low Rider belt broke back in May. Took about three hours to install.

Changing the belt on the Touring models.....Just like the Dyna, unfortunately....the swing arm must be removed. You don't need any special tools......however, you need plenty of allen sockets and one large socket to get the entire chain case out. I also recommend utilizing the manual and follow proper torque. I've changed out three so far in the past eight years.....average time is around four-five hours.

Lastly, if you choose to do the job yourself......when you purchase the new belt, make sure you get all new gaskets as well. This includes the inner primary gasket as well.

Look around on the Internet....I remember seeing while back someone with a later model Electra Glide changing his belt out. It was detailed very good with nice pictures to go along with it.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone know if Harley converted all of their belts pre '07 to the new'07 and later material. In other words when you replace an '02 belt do you get the belt material that came on the '02 or do you get a belt with the '07 material. Haven't heard any negatives to the new material. Just curious.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may give you some feel for the extent of the job.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/belt%20install%201.htm

Bob

Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, thanks great link, but damn...........that just about depressed the sh$t out of me.

ORIGINAL: FLHSbob

This may give you some feel for the extent of the job.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/belt%20install%201.htm

Bob

Quick Reply: Broken Drive belt!!