Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

Dougger ,,,, wmko1 ,,,,,

it is a bit more complicated than that ,,,,,,,

Harley headsets provide the pre-amplified mike signal ONLY ,,,,, Honda headsets provide the Dynamic mike signal ONLY ,,,,,

J&M has the ONLY headsets that will provide either type of mike signal, just by interchanging the lower section headset cord ,,,,,, ((see headset pages on the J&M website)) ,,,, so that the J&M's are the only headsets that can be used on most any motorcycle audio system ever made ,,,,,

as for a hand mike adapter ,,,, to be honest volume on those is very low and you would need to know if your particular mike has a condensor mike inside or a dynamic mike ,,,,,, and then get the wires in the right place on the DIN plug ,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about one of those power mic's the truckers use? Would one of these make for a decent hand held unit?
Is it possible to wire one up or would the Harley mic be a better choice? I've been told my boom mic is weak.
Need more volume outgoing.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

SteelCityScooter ,,,,,,

I have been in the courtroom more than once, defending J&M from frivilous claims,,,,, ((J&M was found to be 0% at fault by a jury)),,

the guy claimed that he flew 50 feet over a car after t-boning it in the side and when he came down his forearm pushed the J&M boom mike into his eye and damaged it beyond repair ,,,,,,,

when in fact he hit the side of this little car with his Gold Wing and when he slammed forward, he caught his small eyeglasses on the edge of the windsheild, poped the lense out and drove it into his eye socket ,,,,,, then he fell over to the left and hit the ground right next to where his bike lay ,,,,

now just imagine for instance that J&M get's into the helmetless headset business and some guy decides to use one of those without his helmet, gets into an accident, and has severe head injuries, that he can claim were caused by the speakers or mike on a helmetless headset ?!?!?! ,,,,

,,,,, you can ride without a helmet if you want to ,,, this is our country, the land of the free and the home of the brave ,,, where thank GOD we can all make our ownchoices ,,,,,,

but I am not going to put J&M in that kind of a liability position just to sell a few hundred/thousandhelmetless headsets ,,,, just does not make sense ,,,,,
Still a bit lost in your answer.......
The helmetless headset only provides the option to use without a helmet the same product you are selling. It also provides another option for a specific product you sell, the zip on headset for a half helmet.

Yet you say only the helmetless headset is a liability..... thats interesting to say the least.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

notlost_nc ,,,,,,

many different types of hand mikes etc could be made to work, but first they would need to be wired correctly and then tested to make sure they did not introduce RF squeals and such into the system ,,,,,,,

should be simple ,,, but sometimes it can turn complicated ,,,,,

Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 PM
HB
Road Captain

John, Do you know what each color coded wire does (audio,receive,etc.)for the hand held mic on an 03 ultra?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
indyharleyguy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet-less headsets for my 99 Ultra

Has anybody used the 7 Pin Half Helmet Helmetless Headset Kit sold by IMC Motocom? I'm looking to buy the 7 pin set but wanted to know how they work, There link is

http://imcmoto.com/products/harley-h...headset-4.html

Thanks for any input.
Charlie

Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelCityScooter
These will work with/without Half Helmet
From here...... http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=82&pg=2
bought a set of these and love them , I found some for my 5 pin but you need the 7 pin after 97or 98 but they work good , you can go HD or several after market companies , they are also nice if you switch helmets or bikes

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Mevman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dougger
John,
If the Harley cable only uses 5 pins, can you make me an adapter or a cord that would be 5 pin on one side and the 7 pin on the other end. I have both the 5 pin helmet set up amd a 7 (8) Harley helmet setup too.
I would like to use one set up for both the Ultra and the Valkyrie.
Me too! I have the older Hondaline headsets in our full face and want to use the same headsets for the 04 Ultra. The jack at the helmet clamp is 5pin and no one offers a cord to go from 5pin to 7pin? Crazy. Not sure if the mic signal thing is going to be a problem.

I guess I will make up a 7pin to 5pin din patch cord and give it a try.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Originally Posted by Mevman
Me too! I have the older Hondaline headsets in our full face and want to use the same headsets for the 04 Ultra. The jack at the helmet clamp is 5pin and no one offers a cord to go from 5pin to 7pin? Crazy. Not sure if the mic signal thing is going to be a problem.

I guess I will make up a 7pin to 5pin din patch cord and give it a try.
Your Honda headset should work on a pre 2006 Harley. Your Honda headset has a 5 pin din connector and the Jack on your bike is a 7 pin. The 5 pin connector on the Honda headset will plug into the 7 pin Harley jack. The wiring on a 5 pin and a 7 pin is the same. In other words the Honda headset wiring is the same as the Harley for the pins you will be using. The other two pins on the Harley are used for a hand microphone. This is not true for post 2005 bikes as Harley changed the microphone. Just line up the key on your Honda headset connector with the key on the bike's jack and plug it in it will only go one way and should work.

I know because I used to make 5 to 7 and 7 to 5 pin conversion cables along with custom length headset cords for extra tall people. I also used the same helmet and 5 pin headset on my Yamaha Venture and my 02 Ultra.

If you want you can email me for more info.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Mevman
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bissjim
Your Honda headset should work on a pre 2006 Harley. Your Honda headset has a 5 pin din connector and the Jack on your bike is a 7 pin. The 5 pin connector on the Honda headset will plug into the 7 pin Harley jack. The wiring on a 5 pin and a 7 pin is the same. In other words the Honda headset wiring is the same as the Harley for the pins you will be using. The other two pins on the Harley are used for a hand microphone. This is not true for post 2005 bikes as Harley changed the microphone. Just line up the key on your Honda headset connector with the key on the bike's jack and plug it in it will only go one way and should work.

I know because I used to make 5 to 7 and 7 to 5 pin conversion cables along with custom length headset cords for extra tall people. I also used the same helmet and 5 pin headset on my Yamaha Venture and my 02 Ultra.

If you want you can email me for more info.
Are you serious? This is great news. Ya know, call me dense but I never thought of trying to plug it in. I will try it this morning. Nice...thanks very much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question