Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Special and Fat Handlebar

Old 10-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Cressman Foster
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Road King Special and Fat Handlebar

Hello,

I have ordered the Road King Fat Handlebar (part #55800388) for my Road King Special (FLHRXS) and on the HD website it says all models require separate purchase of additional components. Fair enough. So I had a brief conversation with one of the parts guys at my local dealer but he wasn't 100% sure on what was required and unfortunately I was in a hurry and we didn't end up determining what exactly was required that day. I did some hunting around the HD website and came across their inspiration gallery for the Road King Special. One example is equipped with the Road King Fat Handlebar. So I clicked on the parts list to see what was required. The first thing that stood out to me was that they listed the Hidden Fat Bar Riser Kit (part # 55900067). In Harley's words "This riser enables installation of the 1.25" Road KingŪ Fat Handlebar on FLHR and FLHRC models". Fine, but I ride a FLHRXS that comes equipped with 1.25" bars as stock. So why would I need this kit and why is it listed in the parts list?

It then goes on to list various clutch and brake lines as well as a switch wire extension. Again, fair enough. I understand that different bar configurations will require different lengths of cable. The final part listed is Polyurethane Handlebar Riser Bushings (part # 56298-03A). Is this just a suggestion or is it required? Reading the reviews I came across one post that said they don't even fit the Road King Special. This along with the aforementioned Riser Kit has led me to believe that Harley may have made a mistake when listing the parts in the inspiration gallery. I did a little more digging and came across an inspiration gallery parts list for the 2017 FLHR that was equipped with the Fat Handlebar and lo and behold the parts listed were the exact same as the ones listed for the 2018 FLHRXS. They were even listed in the same order. So I'm thinking somebody at Harley got lazy and just assumed that since the FLHRXS is a Road King then it must require the exact same parts as a standard Road King in order to fit the Fat Handlebar.

From what I've determined I think I only need the cables and wire extension but then again I'm no mechanic and if I'm honest, pretty bad with this sort of thing. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Cressman Foster
1st Gear

Originally Posted by outgood
That’s the exact same parts list they have for the 2018 FLHRXS and 2017 FLHR. They list the same parts. They don’t differentiate. This doesn’t answer my question.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I put 14" bars on my '15 road glide and did not change the bushings and have had no problems Not sure about your cables and wiring

The following users liked this post:
Cressman Foster (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

you need to open it up and see if the stock bars on your special neck down to 1" at the clamp....... the aftermarket fat bars are 1.250 the whole way, and the bigger clamp is required......

Old 10-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Cressman Foster
1st Gear

Thanks for both of your responses. I did a little more digging and found a thread that states that the clamp on the Special is 1.25”.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...g-special.html

Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

If you view the fat bar riser kit on the HD site, here , and click on View all bikes this part fits, you can see the Special being listed.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Cressman Foster
1st Gear

I don’t doubt that the riser kit kits. I just don’t think it’s required for the Fat Handlebar. I found another thread that indicates the stock bars are 1.25” and they don’t taper down.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (10-03-2018)