Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression Releases at 10-1 CR? Bike won't start!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Compression Releases at 10-1 CR? Bike won't start!

My 06 SG just failed to start about 30 minutes ago. I installed SE Performance Heads with my 95" Stage II Bore kit a couple of weeks ago. It was reccomended at the time that I go ahead and do the compression releases. I declined because A) I had SE Heads and 10-1 CR on my last bike and never needed them, (actually there were a few hot starts where probably could have used them), and B) I've always heard they weren't necessary till about 10:5-1. Well since the install of the Heads, the starter has had to make a couple of extra rotations before the bike fired when it was cold, but after it was warm it would fire right up. I could feel the pull on the starter and battery. Tonight we went for a 50 mile ride, came home and the bike sat in the garage for about 3 hours and cooled down. I went out about 11:00 to take another ride and it started but with the same extra rotations before firing. I came back immediately to grab my keys to get gas and shut it off while I went in the house. When I came back, it would just kick over once and stop. A couple of trys and I just backed off and decided to wait for morning. Can anyone assist with this? Is the need for compression releases apparent to prevent blowing my starter, (if I haven't already)? If I can get it started tomorrow and to the shop and get releases installed, Heads are predrilled for them, will that relieve the pressure on the starter? Are the symptoms I described indicitive of the starter going bad due to compression? All I can think about is the bike not starting tomorrow morning and having to get it trailered to the DEALER only to be told they are full up and I won't have the bike all holiday weekend!!@@## I actually hope not having the releases is the problem, then at least I know the fix.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Compression Releases at 10-1 CR? Bike won't start!

If you have then pre drilled then I would go ahead and put them in. I have Basiely heads with 10.5:1 and do NOT have the compression releases and wish I did. It will eat up your cluctch starter in no time.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

If you have then pre drilled then I would go ahead and put them in. I have Basiely heads with 10.5:1 and do NOT have the compression releases and wish I did. It will eat up your cluctch starter in no time.
Well I'm hoping mine didn't just get eaten up a few hours ago[] Does your starter turn over slower with your 10-5 build?

Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 AM
truegentlemann
Cruiser
Location: i live outside Omaha Ne on the Iowa side in the Loes hills, some great places to ride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10.5-1 CR and occasionally will forget to push the compression releases and it will not crank just as you described.
push in the releases and it turns right over.
it should start fine in the morning...

Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got em on mine, rarely use em. Used em one time when the motor was hot, burnt the sh#t out of my thumb.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are pre-drilled for them............why not put them in? It's always better to have them and not use them, then to not have them and need them.

Also, check to make sure your battery cables are good and tight at the battery. I say this because lately my negative bolt has been working itself loose, and it reaches the point where it won't start the bike easily. Once I tighten the bolt again, it starts like a pro.

This winter my heads are coming off, and I'll be installing releases and bumping up the compression to around 10.5-1 while I'm in there.

Steve

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have a good battery,cables. and put the CR in.Your starter will thank you.One other thing USE them!Every start.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When I forget to engage my releases it sounds like I'm going to blow the engine, very scary sounds, now I try to always remember.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

Well I'm hoping mine didn't just get eaten up a few hours ago[] Does your starter turn over slower with your 10-5 build?

Only when it's Hot. Other then that it's not that bad.........

Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what cam are you running....i run 10.8 to 1, i have em but never use them.....most people confuse static compression ratio with dynamic compression ratio.....static is what we all talk about....the cam timing (overlap) is what produces dynamic compression ratio...dynamic is what matters for starting issues....R&R 615/585 cam has lower dynamic ratio and that motor spins over, busts off easy....theres two fixes for your dilemma, one change the cam and bump you static up, that will yeild better performance...or two, buy a Baker starter and make your own batt cables out of 2ga welding cable....it carries 100 amps for 300 yards and is the trick for getting the most fire to your starter(ground & positive)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compression Releases at 10-1 CR? Bike won't start!