Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:34 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Wow for crying out loud, Run what ever gets you off. If they are Drag pipes with no baffles or Duals with no baffles, just don't ride it like a jack *** in town. That's what it all comes down to. Idiots wacking the throttle WFO in town is what's going to runn it for us all.... My 2-1 Thunderheader iskinda loud at idle but not so loud that I'm making the old man & lady in the car next to me **** their depends. Thats just not cool in my book. Being able to get people to look over at your bike when it's just at idle at a stop light with it sounding all throuty going patato-patato-patato-patato-patato at about 975-1000 RPM and getting looks and smiles from little kids, and their parents is cool in my book.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Why would you want drag pipes? You automaticly lose Hp, you can not tune except for about one RPM range, and none of you buddies will want to ride close to you because of the noise, even yourself after 100 miles and you still can't get rid of the sound on a long trip.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flashprez

Why would you want drag pipes? You automaticly lose Hp, you can not tune except for about one RPM range, and none of you buddies will want to ride close to you because of the noise, even yourself after 100 miles and you still can't get rid of the sound on a long trip.
I thought torque is what you lose with drag pipes, not HP? And, for the most part, I ride alone. Not because of my pipes, but because most of my buddies that I would trust next to me, don't ride. Plus, the wife neverlets me out to play with them (my buddies) anyways. LOLAnd the sound is loud, to loud to use headphones with my MP3 player, which bums me out. Funny thing is, when the wife is with me, on an outing, she has no problem hearing the music. That makes me think it has more to do with wind noise, than the pipes. Heck, I don't know. I am tired trying to defend my pipes. Buy whatever you like. LOL

EDIT: BTW, Pilgrim, very nice bike. You ever think of going with a springer front end? Seems that would really make the look.