Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Thinking of straight pipes on a bagger, This is the ad -'225's from Santee®! Huge 2 1/4"-diameter pipes deliver wicked sound and all the performance you can handle. Proudly made in the USA from 16 gauge pipe and now featuring a FULL TWO YEAR WARRANTY* on materials and workmanship. Includes brackets unless noted otherwise. Available to fit many models from 1984 thru present. Choose from two distinct dual exhaust systems both featuring 2 1/4" straight pipes. The long and low 'Stacked' features both pipes exiting on the right side. The 'Crossover' has one pipe exiting on each side. Fits FLT, FLHT, FLHS and Road Kings 1985 thru present - Crossover
Thanks

Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Pilgrim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Well, yes. That is, unless you want a bike that is damn near impossible to tune for fuel delivery, gets bad gas mileage, and only runs well when the throttle is wide open.

They call 'em "drag pipes" for a reason: it's because they only run well in one limited RPM range - WFO. There are ways to deal with the issues, but they are only band-aids. A good exhaust system is worth good horsepower.

There are those who say their bikes run just fine with drag pipes. If that's true, then they have found some way to suspend the laws of physics as they relate to fluid dynamics. Or probably, more likely, they are just willing to not notice all the downsides in favor of the racket.

Pilgrim

Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I had drag pipes on my 79 FLH. If you tune it, there are no driveability issues. The main complaint I had was that the sound would bounce off the faring and windshield right back at you. It was a bit loud. I eventually replaced them with a dual setup. We have drag pipes on the sportster now. With EFI and full access to the fuel maps, no problems at all.

Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I had drag pipes on my RKC. Didn't even tune it and there weren't noticeable issues. Ran a little hotter so I pulled them off until I can afford to get the PCIII. They aren't limited to one RPM range and they won't give you horrible gas mileage. Mine didn't change and my guess would be that once you tune them you might lose less than 10%. And no, I haven't suspended the laws of physics. People who have never tried it will tell you not to do it. Ask PapaTravis if you want another opinion. He turned me onto mine.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ianchris1

Yeah, I had drag pipes on my RKC. Didn't even tune it and there weren't noticeable issues. Ran a little hotter so I pulled them off until I can afford to get the PCIII. They aren't limited to one RPM range and they won't give you horrible gas mileage. Mine didn't change and my guess would be that once you tune them you might lose less than 10%. And no, I haven't suspended the laws of physics. People who have never tried it will tell you not to do it. Ask PapaTravis if you want another opinion. He turned me onto mine.
Yep, I run Samson drag fishtails. I love them. If there is a drop in power over stock, my butt dyno couldn't tell. They are louder than most, which I love. And as far as gas milage, I was getting 41-42 mpg with my srock pipes, and with the drags, I get 39mpg, no matter how I ride. A small drop, but I did an a/c change and rejetted the carb at the same time, so I don't know if the pipes are to blame, or the other stuff. Either way, I am happy with them. If I ever get to the point where I have the money to add a lot of performance stuff (engine build), I might change them out, but that is way off. I have just about decided to get the fulsac headers, which I hear will make them even louder.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,790 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Hmmmm....wonder why some areas of country are talking noise law enforcement [&:]Maybe you can run em right out of the heads with no pipes.....less restriction that way

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have drag fishtails on by Road King. Just got back from a 1250 mile trip, and my ears still ring. The bike has 46000 miles on it with these pipes, and I love the look and sound, but... Maybe I'm just getting old, or just an excuse for a change, but I'm looking to put mufflers on it. As for running conditions, at about 200-2500 rpm, the bike blubbers at light throttle [between 5-10%]. Witha Power Commander I've been able to tune this almost completely out by leaning the mixture at those specific areas less than stock. My mileage averages 43 mpg on road trips, 33 when I commute and beat on it.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder why there is ant-noise legislation being enacted in so many parts of the country? It's just the begining, folks. As you sew, so shall you reap.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:32 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You will get better performance with some kind of baffle. These engines NEED some back pressure for optimal performance. Even the older engines ran better with at least a little restriction!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Loud Pipes Save Lives.

This ignorant statement again. Sorry to flame. Common sense and 100% rider vigilance save lives. If this was true there would not be one Goldwing rider alive. Drunk or inattentive driver don't see you, hear you or even care about you. they just kill you.

You will not get any appreciable horse power change going straight pipe in a street environment, just pissed off people that will complain more about our bikes!!!! Resulting in more legislation and enforcement!!!

Quick Reply: Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?