Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull Back Risers on a Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
MKash
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Reach Solution

You might want to try this for Road King reach problem. I have a 2008 RK Classic with electronic throttle.
I’m 5’9” with a little longer than average arms for that height. Put on 56902-08 FLHR Heritage bars but wanted even more pullback.

Found there are conflicts in bar measurements due to different measurement methods used with the biggest disparity being the degree of pullback.
I recommend using the measuring method shown on the J&P cycle site. Go to: http://community.jpcycles.com/articles/tech-articles/pages/how-to-measure-for-the-right-handlebars.aspx

Considered getting different bars with more pullback but was worried measurements shown for bars might be a problem. Also wanted to maximize pullback without cable changes.
Decided to give the Street Slammer handlebar cover a try. Got it from Latus, Product ID: 55854-07 for $30. Very nice chrome, thick and heavy.

Purchased pullback risers with plain riser clamp from J&P Cycles, 4.5” tall with 1.5” pullback. Note the length is at an angle adding even more pullback.
JP Cycle riser kit: Part #5000090. Go to: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000090 Really nice chrome and beefy. $50.

Setup looks great and as nice as original. Did not need to change any cables. Clutch cable a little tight but solved that by releasing it from the left fork cable guide.
I can now sit well back in a much more comfortable position. Any future changes will be easy by just removing the riser clamp cover.
Heritage bars, slammer cover, and riser/clamp kit about $200 with shipping. Installation not too bad. No special tools needed. I’m a 67 year old artist—not a mechanic.

Note: While you’re inside the nacelle replace the fork lube zerk with an elbow zerk for easier access. Get one at any auto parts store.

Thanks to all forum contributors—very helpful. A pox on Harley for making rider comfort adjustments unnecessarily difficult.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
MKash
Stage III

You might want to try this for Road King reach problem. I have a 2008 RK Classic with electronic throttle.
I’m 5’9” with a little longer than average arms for that height. Put on 56902-08 FLHR Heritage bars but wanted even more pullback.

Found there are conflicts in bar measurements due to different measurement methods used with the biggest disparity being the degree of pullback.
I recommend using the measuring method shown on the J&P cycle site. Go to: http://community.jpcycles.com/articles/tech-articles/pages/how-to-measure-for-the-right-handlebars.aspx

Considered getting different bars with more pullback but was worried measurements shown for bars might be a problem. Also wanted to maximize pullback without cable changes.
Decided to give the Street Slammer handlebar cover a try. Got it from Latus, Product ID: 55854-07 for $30. Very nice chrome, thick and heavy.

Purchased pullback risers with plain riser clamp from J&P Cycles, 4.5” tall with 1.5” pullback. Note the length is at an angle adding even more pullback.
JP Cycle riser kit: Part #5000090. Go to: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000090 Really nice chrome and beefy. $50.

Setup looks great and as nice as original. Did not need to change any cables. Clutch cable a little tight but solved that by releasing it from the left fork cable guide.
I can now sit well back in a much more comfortable position. Any future changes will be easy by just removing the riser clamp cover.
Heritage bars, slammer cover, and riser/clamp kit about $200 with shipping. Installation not too bad. No special tools needed. I’m a 67 year old artist—not a mechanic.

Note: While you’re inside the nacelle replace the fork lube zerk with an elbow zerk for easier access. Get one at any auto parts store.

Thanks to all forum contributors—very helpful. A pox on Harley for making rider comfort adjustments unnecessarily difficult.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
hungry horse
Cruiser

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm not sure of the bar set up on a '08......But I had the same "reach problem" on my '03 RK.... A set of Heritage bars with the exact fit and fix.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I am unable to start a new thread... keep getting errors...

I have a 2008 FLHRC with Heritage style Handle Bars... I want to install a riser... I still feel I need a couple of inches for more comfort...

The Heritage style bars are 1"

HD offers Chrome risers but for the 1.25" bars only...

Anyone knows of other Risers out there?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4" risers and heritage bars on 09 road king.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

That looks like the setup I am looking for! Thanks for the awesome pics 09BlueRoadKing!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks 09blueroadking...

2 Questions:

1- did you have to change the cables?
2- where did you get the cover (the one the risers go through?)

Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No extra cables needed and the cover is in the Harley catalog.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
lindstb
Stage III
Default Part #'s?

Sorry, but I can't find the part #'s for the risers or cover in my catalog...
Do you have them?? I have the Heritage bars on the way,, but really like the look or your set up!!

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM
STUNU
Tourer

subscribed

Quick Reply: Pull Back Risers on a Road King?