Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch question part 2 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition switch question part 2 Electra Glide

I posted earlier about some of the problems I've read about the 06 Electra Glide fork locks sticking. I thought just to prevent the problem from happening, why can't you just lock the ignition, without locking the forks?? Now I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I've been riding for a long time and I can't seem to figure out a way to do this. The only way I can get the bike to lock is to turn the wheel clear to the left, turn the switch to fork lock, push down and turn key. Key absolutely will not turn unless I go to fork lock position. I don't trailer my bike, but what if I had it on an open trailer.? I'd want the wheel straight, but I couldn't lock it. How would I secure the bike.? Any suggestions ?? Could I be doing something wrong.?? I even broke out the manual as a last resort, and nothing ??

Old 11-24-2005, 12:01 AM
SPC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition switch question part 2 Electra Glide

If I understand you correctly what you are asking will work. I just went to verify on my 05 glide. Fork straight and ignition switch turned to lock and the key turned to lock. Hell, maybe mine is broke. Good Luck..

Old 11-24-2005, 12:14 AM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

I've had two responses to this with 05 owners. I wonder if the 06 switch is different.??

Old 11-24-2005, 11:43 AM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

I think I just found the answer. Looks like the 06 has a new switch. Will not lock until the fork is in full lock. So you cannot lock the bike unless the fork is turned to lock. I don't think this is the hot setup ! Here's a quote from another site I found.

New Ignition Switch
Electra Glide and Road Glide models have a new ignition switch that confirms the fork lock condition to the operator by requiring the fork to be at full-stop angle before the switch can be turned to the 'fork lock' position.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:07 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

I just tried my '06 RG. It will only lock in two positions, fork lock and accessory. I've said this before, I don't understand H-D's logic on this. But, if you have a security system, you can set it in the off position and the bike can not be started.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

Yes, I just checked mine and it also locks in the accessory position !! Why would you ever need that ?? After a visit to my dealer today, I had my hands on the new switch and looked it over. It is the same switch that has been used on international models since 03. Just added to US models this year. Am looking into the possibility of being able to remove the lock pin in the switch, then you could lock the ignition in the fork lock position, but the actual locking feature would have been defeated since the pin was removed. I may be worrying about nothing here, but this is definately a problem that you can't fix yourself on the road. I just don't want to have to deal with the fork lock issue on the road. I'll keep everybody posted.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:52 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ratmotortom

Yes, I just checked mine and it also locks in the accessory position !! Why would you ever need that ?? After a visit to my dealer today, I had my hands on the new switch and looked it over. It is the same switch that has been used on international models since 03. Just added to US models this year. Am looking into the possibility of being able to remove the lock pin in the switch, then you could lock the ignition in the fork lock position, but the actual locking feature would have been defeated since the pin was removed. I may be worrying about nothing here, but this is definately a problem that you can't fix yourself on the road. I just don't want to have to deal with the fork lock issue on the road. I'll keep everybody posted.
They allow you to lock out the ignition in the accessory position so you can run your stereo and such w/o someone being able to jump on and start it.

I want the damn padlock fork back!@#%&!

Old 11-26-2005, 12:45 AM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

I second the padlock fork vote !!