Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Experts - Luggage Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
folkxrock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Experts - Luggage Suggestions

I just picked up an '05 Road King Custom (sold my '03 Lowrider) and I am looking to start traveling on the bike. I am weighing out all the luggage options and would like some opinions of what seems to be the best bang for the buck.
I thought about getting the tourpack because it would seem to be the easiest to use (in my world easy use usually equals I actually use it rather than wipe dust off). However, they are pretty expensive - $400 for the leather one. Also, I am concerned that I would run out of space pretty quickly.
I will have to purchase a luggage rack (either for a tour pack or forother luggage) so that is a moot point in my decision.
I have also considered just buying a something like a T-Bag and putting it on the luggage rack. It would be a little less expensive and appears to have more room. However, it seems to be a little more hassle to tie the bag on (and off) off the bike and I am not sure how they hold up to wet weather.

So, what does everyone like to travel with concerning luggage. Obviously, if you have an Ultra this is not a concern.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: Touring Experts - Luggage Suggestions

You're right, I have an Ultra now so it isn't much of a concern. But, I had a Heritage and this is how I did it. Made the passenger back rest quick detach and added the large HD luggage rack. Bought a large Saddlemen bag. (Drifter)
Probably holds as much as the king tourpak.
If you don't go this way, I'd opt for the king tourpack. A buddy has the smaller leather one which is doesn't really hold all that much for 2up touring.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Ronjo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same problem and after several bags, I bought the Kuryakyn Full Dresser bag for my Road King. I don't like most of what Kuryakyn sells, but this bag is top of the line and mounts easy around your passenger back rest. I got mind on Ebay for $159 from Eastern Performance Cycles. Kury's price is $199.This bag holds a ton of stuff and is the best travelling investment I've made.
Ronjo...

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a RK and have the Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag and like it a lot. I use it every day commuting to work and for weekend trips. For longer trips, I'm looking at the the T-Bags Lonestar. I mount my Gran Tour bag on my luggage rack/sissy bar and would mount the Lonestar on the pax seat.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I use a T-Bag on over-niters and it works fine for me. The one I bought is custom made from leather and doesn't have a rain shield but we just pack our stuff in Hefty bags inside of the T-Bag easily enough. It slips over the passenger backrest but I add a few bungee cords for piece of mind.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kuryakyn Full Dresser bag sits on the luggage rack and has a wide velcro strap that goes arond the passenger backrest. Easy on & off. When I'm riding solo, I put the bag on the passenger seat and attach it the same way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1975/7BCB5699DC9E4E229191B8EC08A6045A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jeep Corporation licenses their name to a line of black ballistic nylon travel bags that fit nicely inside the HD 2-Up Rack. A couple of SmallCart bungie cords and there's still room to hang on a down bag and another smaler nylon bag if needed. It only gets ugly when you're hauling for two, which means two nylon bags instead of just one. The whole shebang can be purchased for under $ 60.00 at discount luggage outlets. Eagle Creek makes even better quality gear, but the price is much higher.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through about 4 different bags and finally bought a King Tour Pak w/ luggage rack. Detachable hardware and added lights with a plug. Extremely happy with ther set up.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get this rack. Don't get the one that attaches to the backrest.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Get this T-Bag. (Has an attached dust and rain cover and top roll)

http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=...;SelectedCat=4

I've ridden thousands of miles two-up with this setup on my Road King Classic and I love it.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's wrong with the one that attaches to the backrest. Besides that it attaches to the backrest.....

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Get this rack. Don't get the one that attaches to the backrest.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Get this T-Bag. (Has an attached dust and rain cover and top roll)

http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=...;SelectedCat=4

I've ridden thousands of miles two-up with this setup on my Road King Classic and I love it.

Quick Reply: Touring Experts - Luggage Suggestions