Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Removal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Removal???

I'm new to the touring bikes and want to know if it is easy to remove the trunk on the Ultras? If I were to get one I would like the bike better without the trunk unless I was traveling.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Trunk Removal???

I would say get one with, I bought the Standard without and a year later have grown to like the trunk. So, I am off to spend more money.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Took me about 20 minutes. Remove seat. Disconnect all the wires in the trunk. Lift out the trunk liner. Remove 3 bolts 2 nuts. Tuck wires under the seat. Put seat back on. Ride your a$$ off. It is like having your wife come to bed with a wig on. T.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Ripp
Advanced

With a quick disconnect from HD you can remove it in les then 10 min, even on an Ultra.
I put one on my 06 Ultra used it twice the first year and none this year. I found I missed the easy storage of the touring pack and I most of gotten used to the handling of the bike!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master

Crusher,
I have had the quick disconnect on my '07 Ultra for a little over a month now. It took me about 3-4 hours to put the quick detach kit on and about a day or two to get it adjusted right. Now, it takes about 10 minutes to get the pack on and off. Pop a couple of levers, take out tour pak liner, unhook the antennas and a couple of light plugs and you are good to go. I wrap the wires up and zip tie them in a zip loc and put them under the seat. If you have any more questions, send me a pm.
This is a great alternative when you are riding solo.
b

Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

it's even easier on an EGC because there are no lights in the tour-pak. So, it's just the mechanical detach kit that you need to install. ~$260 option.

the Ultra, having the light in the tour-pak, and the speakers, is a bit more complicated and I don't think H-D makes a kit that includes the electrical connectors you'll need to but in-line with the wires. But it is very doable. However, when I was buying, the dealer balked when I asked about this.

I finally decided I didn't really need the rear speakers, cruise, CB or lowers, so I went with the EGC, which cost a few thousand less. I spent the money anyway on things like pipes, power commander and chrome.

I'm still spending it.. on the new IDS kit. ....and... and.... you get the picture?

But it's great!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Crusher
Road Master

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. What happens to the antennas on the Ultra with the quick disconnect as they are mounted on the box?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You Can mount them lower. Mine isbetween the fender & the side bag.

Toby

Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also went with the EGC for similar reasons, but I had the dealer install the cruise control. It made this year's trip to Sturgis MUCH more comfortable. I considered the quick-detach kit for the tour-pak, but I've gotten so spoiled by having a "trunk" that I've decided to spend the money on other bling, like the Zumo 550 I recently added.

ORIGINAL: oldhippie

I finally decided I didn't really need the rear speakers, cruise, CB or lowers, so I went with the EGC, which cost a few thousand less. I spent the money anyway on things like pipes, power commander and chrome.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easy to do but definitely go with the detachable kit and don't just unbolt the box from the rack and leave the rack on. That would not leave you with a clean look at all. Like some have said if you aren't into all the extra features of the Ultra (cruise, cb, intercom, lowers etc. The Electra Glide Classic would be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Trunk Removal???