Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor XM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Poor XM Reception

Recently installed the XM modulator for my SG. Reception/signal $ucks. Works about 60% of the time.Living in PA were there are trees everywhere.
Is this to be expected in wooded areas?
The directions called for the XM antenna to be mounted to a bracket which didn't come with the kit. So I just 2-sided taped it to the back of the radio. Is there a better location for the antenna?
If this is as good as it gets in my area, certainly not worth the monthly fee. Not to mention the $500 for modulator and harness.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RE: Poor XM Reception

Well Im still happy with mp3 on bike for now , but both my cars have sat and had to hard wire thesound to the radio,fm modulator would cut out especially on trips. one vehicle I ran the line to an audio imput. and the other vehicle had no more room on outlets so bought a 88.1fm filter box .this filters 88.1 coming into radio and then brings signal from sat modulator right to antena's jack on back of radio(works good). hope this helped

Old 09-16-2007, 06:33 PM
cms1528
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea you will loose the signal if it is blocked temporally by trees, overpasses, etc... Try tomove the antenna around to different locations on the bike and see how it works for. Can you attach a different antenna or aftermarket one to the radio, with my car you can, they make satellite antennas with magnetic backs, may assist in finding a more receptive position. I have one that is about the size of a half dollar and maybe 1/4 inch thick attached to the trunk of my car. Nevertheless if the signal is blocked you won't get a signal.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

There's a place called xmfanstore.com that has a antenna with a 4ft wire and a magnetic back. I put mine right at the back of the headlight, works great.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

$500 for modulator and harness? explain all that you got. but that is a lot to spend when there are cheaper ways of doing this. there is a fm modulator for $20 that hooks up to the antennea wire.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM
bobros
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bulldogmoe7

$500 for modulator and harness? explain all that you got. but that is a lot to spend when there are cheaper ways of doing this. there is a fm modulator for $20 that hooks up to the antennea wire.
Yeah it's a lot but I wanted something that worked with my HK radio. I also wanted something that wasn't attached to the handlebars and needed to be removed everytime I got off. If I can get a good signal, for me it was worth it.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 PM
schoney
Tourer

My job is truckin and I run a satellite radio all across the country. The radio antenna needs to be seen from the satellite above. When obstructed by anything above as trees or overpasses you may lose your signal. I upgraded my truck radio to a higher dollar antenna and it worked no better than the one that came with the radio. Many senic roads with trees over the road or in deep ravines I just turn the radio off cause I don't like listening to it gooff and onall the time.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 PM
bobros
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Trock

There's a place called xmfanstore.com that has a antenna with a 4ft wire and a magnetic back. I put mine right at the back of the headlight, works great.
Thanks for the info Trock. I checked out that store but couldn't find what you described. Do you recall the name of the product?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM
schoney
Tourer

The FM modulator for $20 will not enhance reception, it cuts out the strong fm waves from local radio stations onFM frequencies so it does'nt interupt with the xm signal on those radio channels if your not hardwired in.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My XM works fine except when the signal is blocked by trees in the summer. Trees don't affect it as much once the leaves fall off. When i'm in that type of area I switch to FM or CD.

Quick Reply: Poor XM Reception