Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Road Glide Stage 1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
energizer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Road Glide Stage 1 upgrades

I have a 2006 Road Glide FLTRI. I'm going to put a stage 1 on the bike over the winter. I'm looking for some input on which is better, the HD oiless cloth air cleaner upgrade kit or theK&N oiled air filter kit. Of course HD says they have the better set up. Also I'm going to change the exhaust and get rid of the cat converter. The gent at HD showed me a set of ovalshaped exhaust pipes. I can't remember the name of the exhaust so I'm going back to see them. Any suggestions on exhaust would be great as well. I also realize I need the remap. If anyone else has suggestions to further increase my ride I'm all ears. This is my first HD and its a great choice.
Thanx

Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Road Glide Stage 1 upgrades

ORIGINAL: energizer

I have a 2006 Road Glide FLTRI. I'm going to put a stage 1 on the bike over the winter. I'm looking for some input on which is better, the HD oiless cloth air cleaner upgrade kit or theK&N oiled air filter kit. Of course HD says they have the better set up. Also I'm going to change the exhaust and get rid of the cat converter. The gent at HD showed me a set of ovalshaped exhaust pipes. I can't remember the name of the exhaust so I'm going back to see them. Any suggestions on exhaust would be great as well. I also realize I need the remap. If anyone else has suggestions to further increase my ride I'm all ears. This is my first HD and its a great choice.
Thanx
on my 2006 Roadglide, I went with an Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. I liked the design of this a/c backing plate the best, simple and effective at directing oil seepage back into the carb without any hoses or unnecessary clutter. It uses a K&N filter that needs cleaned/oiled occasionally.

I opted for Power Commander to adjust my EFI, because I could tune it myself with maps from FuelMoto (where I bought it). I was regretting that decision due to a persistent 'stumble' right off idle, but PowerCommander finally addressed the issue and released a firmware update which cured my bike 100% and it now it works AWSOME. Again, I was able to do the update myself without having to pay HD or a 3rd party to install it.

I already had a set of Samson Rolled Thunder oval slip-ons in my garage from an earlier project, so since they were paid for, they went on the bike, and I kept the stock headpipes, which are actually pretty decent at making power. Now I like both the sound and the looks, as you don;t see them on a ton of rides. Someday maybe I will switch to Rhineharts or another true dual (for looks, it will mean a small performace hit but prolly not even enuf to feel), but for now I am content with my current setup. I made my choices based on the fact I wanted to do all my own work (basically cause just buying the damn bike broke me, and I amacheap bastard!).

Bike runs great. if you want, there are some pics of my setup at:
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s235/steveh326/

Old 09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

I went with a Ness Big Sucker Air Kit on my 06 RG, the V&H Tru Duals with their Oval Slip ons and the Race Tuner and dyno and quite pleased. With the V&H Duals, you're not limited to the slip on choices as you are with others such as Rinehart.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
screws4156
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '06 RG I put "Python Slip-on's" I changed the aircleaner to the H-D up-greaded on and had the dealer do the stage I download. I Had the sound I wanted from the pipes, The proformance was enhanced. Downside was the heat issue. For about 2 weeks the bike ran hot, real hot. But the last few times I had it out it was much better. Do as much of the work yourself. Save some cash.