Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital Gauge Install on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
jskwarek
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Digital Gauge Install on Road King

Well I got the gauge install on my bike. This project is definatly not for the timid, and I would suggest having something better then the HD Manual for a wiring diagram as it sucks.

Here is an album of the install.
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...Gauge_Install/

Oh and another note, the sticker on the gauge doesn't mean that the gauge is right side up. [&:]

Jeff

Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dakota Digital Gauge Install on Road King

Didn't see the final pic in there. You got one to share? And, are those the street slammer bars?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jskwarek

Well I got the gauge install on my bike. This project is definatly not for the timid, and I would suggest having something better then the HD Manual for a wiring diagram as it sucks.

Here is an album of the install.
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...Gauge_Install/

Oh and another note, the sticker on the gauge doesn't mean that the gauge is right side up. [&:]

Jeff
So this is just the sticker display? Cause I was about to say........

Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

The bike is still tore down as I am waiting on the tank and seat to come back in. They should be here this week so I can finally get her back on the road. I have been working on various projects for months now and finally tying them all together.

The pic you posted is the gauge all lit up when I was testing my final connections. The gauge ships with a protective coating and a sticker with some warnings but other then that it is all blacked out so you can't tell which side is up. I assumed that the sticker was correct so I got done pulled the protective film off and low and behold it was upside down. I really want to mount the gauge under the bars, but will have to have the tank to make sure I have clearance lock to lock as I didn't with the stock dash. Once I have the tank and new dash on I will either put the gauge under the bars and or flip it over.

As for the bars yes they are the HD Street Slammer Bars.

Jeff

Old 09-25-2007, 06:46 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just complete installing the 6 guage kit in a 2004 fairing. It is VERY intimadating, at first. A must is service manual (you have to to have the wiring diagrams) and you need to be able to read a schematic (you don't need to be an electrician). On the custom I'm building there aren't running lights, so I rewired the SPOT switched and it activates the dimmer for the gauges. I caught the gauges being upside down early only because the tach and Speedo have a reset button at the bottom which made me call Dakota to determine which is which...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

Gunnert,
What you said is true. The only difference with a fairing is 90 - 95% of your wires are already in the fairing, when you are adding a digital gauge to a Road King, Fat Boy, etc. A non-fairing bike then you must track all the wires down in the main harness. I just wanted to note this for someone that takes this project on themselves.

Again not a hard project, just time consuming. About 1/3 of the wires can be caught at the factory dash harness, there are three wires that have to run down and T into the factory speed sensor, two additional wires that run down to the ECM for Speed Out Put and Tach. An wire that is at the main harness on the back bone for Key on 12 Volt, and standard 12 volt and Ground at the battery. All in all now that I have done it once I can do it again in a couple of hours start to stop.

As for my gauge it is identical no matter which way you have it. It has two buttons one on each side that is why I didn't catch it until it was powered up. No biggy and it has to come back off anyway when I get the tank to.

Jeff