Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

royal purple oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
underpsi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default royal purple oil

I am getting ready to change my oil in my 02 RoadKing and usually have a local hd shop do it but they are behind and I dont want to waste my money at the dealership. I am wanting to go w/ royal purple so looking to see what weight to use and I have been reading that you put oil in more then one section besides the engine? If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks
David

Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: royal purple oil

I use amsoil, but the weight of the fluids should be about the same. 20w-50 in the engine, and primary, if you want. The primary does not need a synthetic, so you can use hd formula + and save a couple of bucks. A lot of guys use the same oil for both, but that is up to you. For the transmission, I use 75w-90. Depending on where you live, amsoil also makes a 75w-110 and 75w-140, all of which are severe gear oil.

Reading on www.royalpurple.com they have max-cycle in 10w-30, 10w-40, and 20w-50. The 20w-50 being what I would use in your HD. The synchromax is what they recommend for the transmission. They don't list anything specific for your primary (that I can find). So, I would contact them at Toll Free: 888-382-6300, just to make sure you are using what they recommend.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you can us about any lubricating fluid in the primary. basic us is to cool the clutch housing and lubricate the chain. very little oil gets to the clutch discs. i use synthetic ATF in the primary. ATF is formulated for clutch discs.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: underpsi

I am getting ready to change my oil in my 02 RoadKing and usually have a local hd shop do it but they are behind and I dont want to waste my money at the dealership. I am wanting to go w/ royal purple so looking to see what weight to use and I have been reading that you put oil in more then one section besides the engine? If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Among numerous others, RP is an excellent product. Use the 20w50 for the engine, 75w90 gear oil (MaxGear) for the tranny, but don't waste your money putting RP or any other high-priced oil in the primary. For that hole, use Castrol GTX 10w40 or other inexpensive fossil engine oil, or ATF (Type F). On the engine oil, there's also no need to spend 2x the money on MaxCycle, IMO, as the regular 20w50 will perform more than adequately. MaxCycle has a bit more zinc and phosphorous, but the lower-priced variant has more than most other brands anyway. Both have more moly than average (about 250ppm), and that is a very good thing for the engine.

Although I haven't seen evidence for this claim, some say moly is harmful to wet clutches, which is another reason to use something lower-tech for the primary. In my '96 I used RP 15w40 in the primary for a while without issues, but I now only use low-tech products there. Also stay away from "fuel-efficient" oils for the primary, as they usually have moly and other friction modifiers, which may not be good for the clutch plates. These usually come in lower viscosities, like 5w30, 10w30, etc.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I am planning on using the Royal Purple Max Cycle 20/50 in all three holes. This is what they reccomend on a site I found that I can't find the link to at the moment. I haven't used RP before but have being researching it for months now and am planing on using it going forward.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

Check out this link

http://www.lubricantsandmore.com/the...l_for_you.html

Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the RP in my engine, works great. Its the car stuff, not the max cycle. I get it at Jegs.com, pretty cheap with free 2 day shipping. They carry full line of RP and Redline. I buy most of my synthetics from them.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Max96

I got the RP in my engine, works great. Its the car stuff, not the max cycle. I get it at Jegs.com, pretty cheap with free 2 day shipping. They carry full line of RP and Redline. I buy most of my synthetics from them.
Jegs has MaxCycle for $13/qt., which sounds high to me even with free shipping. At $7/qt. You guys might try Pep Boys and Napa, both of which sell RP in my area, as they may give you better prices. If any of you live around Baton Rouge, LA, I can get it for you at wholesale (pick-up only). I buy it for myself and friends and don't mark it up, but I don't want to get involved in shipping any oil. I just bought a case of 20w50 (not MaxCycle) today for a friend and the price was $68.12 (about $5.75/qt. including tax). I can get any any RP product from this source, although only by the case, 5-gal. pail, or 55-gal. drum. I buy all my oil by the pail, which is about 10% cheaper, as I'm a frugal kinda guy (cheap bastard). To measure, I use a plastic 4-qt. pitcher from Wal-Mart, marked at 3.75 qts. Instead of washing it after every use, I put it in a garbage bag and tie it down to seal it from airborne contaminants.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
underpsi
Advanced

thanks guys for all the info I will be doing it this weeknd, now how much in the engine, tranny and primary do you guys use... again new to this usually the dealership or bike shop does it

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: underpsi

thanks guys for all the info I will be doing it this weeknd, now how much in the engine, tranny and primary do you guys use... again new to this usually the dealership or bike shop does it
Depends on the model of your bike. For the '07 and presumably '08:

Engine: 3.5 qts. and add 'til it reaches "Full" on the dipstick when hot. Mine holds 3.75 qts. with an HD cooler. Four qts. makes it puke through the breather.
Tranny (6-speed): 1 qt.
Primary: 38 oz.

Five-speed trannies take 20-24 oz., and primary fill varies from year to year.

Quick Reply: royal purple oil