Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Detachable Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Detachable Windshield Question

I am new to this board, having purchased my 2007 Road King Classic this past weekend. The dealer showed me how to remove and reinstall the windshield.

When they reinstalled the windshield, I heard it snap into place.

I removed the windshield to wash the bike and reinstalled the windshield. However, it does not snap or lock into position. It is firmly in the groove of the rubber grommets on the lower mounts & seems to be fully in place on the top rubber grommet mounts. However, the spring clips are now above the rubber grommet.If I push the top of the windshield forward, it will come loose from the top grommets. It does not lock into place.

Any advice other than having to ride 50 miles back to the dealer to have this checked?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King Detachable Windshield Question

My 06 snaps into place but if the little "clips" get bent they will not make the snap noise. As long as you get it all the way seated, you are fine.

Grabbing the top of the windsheild and pulling forward is how the dealer took mine off when I got it. From the sounds of it I think your fine, but take it for a short ride and watch it for vibration or movement, if it does take it back. Otherwise, ride it and when you bring it back for a service have them take a look at it to ease your concerns.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

You can bend the little clips downward so they catch the upper grommets better. It is ok if it does not 'lock'. It won't come off if it is in thje grooves.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

with the windshield removed,...bend the metal (hair clips) down,...when you put it back on,....they should go down and help hold tight over the rubber mts,

mine is pretty tight in the rubbers even without the clips. I think you can tighten up the bolt that holds the rubbers,...and that will help it smash tighter against the windshield brackets.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why those clips are there. They do absolutely nothing on mine.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine doesn't clip either, but it's snug on the grommets. You'll be fine as long as you keep speeds in reverse under 50mph!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Beancount1
You'll be fine as long as you keep speeds in reverse under 50mph!
FUNNY!

My w/s doesn't "snap" either.
The design is one that should prevent that sheild from going anywhere so long as everything is tight in the rubber.

Had a guy on the forums here post about some 70mph winds (or thereabouts) blowing off his detachable w/s, but the wind was coming from behind while the bike was parked. There's no helping those situations.
Otherwise...you should be good to go. Just stay outta hurricanes or bring your bike indoors if you get caught in one.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here...mine is only held on by the grommets and the clips are useless. The first time I went to put it back on I thought those metal clips were supposed to keep it locked in place. Didn't realize they really have no purpose.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like we'll have to park them like a helicopter....into the wind.

ORIGINAL: Blackmouth

Had a guy on the forums here post about some 70mph winds (or thereabouts) blowing off his detachable w/s, but the wind was coming from behind while the bike was parked.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Thanks to all who replied. I think I will leave it as is and just check with the dealer the next time I go there.

I am sure it will be fine as long as I do not leave the bike outside in a tornado or hurricane.

Quick Reply: Road King Detachable Windshield Question