Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accu-pressure tire valve caps can be unsafe

Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accu-pressure tire valve caps can be unsafe

Last year I bought two packages of Accu-pressure tire pressure indicatorcaps. They have a plastic upper part that indicates the tire pressure, and a metal part that screws onto the valve stem. The plastic indicator part has come off (while riding) on four occasions. The last timeresulted in the loss of pressure in my front tire, an EGC is a son of a b@#$% to try to controlwithlow front tire pressure,even at low speed.When I first bought the caps, I installed one on my bicycle tire and cut the plastic part off with a pair of pliers to see if air pressure wouldbe lost, it wasn't. I found out later that if the valve stem core is loose (or defective) and the plastic part of the Accu-pressure cap comes off (a regular occurrence) air pressureIS lost. Use these pressure indicating caps at your own risk! I sent them an email about the problem and have not received a reply to date.
Gregm

Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Billiam92407
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Accu-pressure tire valve caps can be unsafe

I have them on my car. No problems.... yet.

Please post if the company replies.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:14 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have lost air in a tire with a loose valve stem and didn't have any type of valve cap gauge.

Perhaps it was due to that?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:24 AM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

I put a pair on my road king and neither of them made it through the first revolution. They both hit a fender bracket or something and got tore off. It's just as well, I guess. With a pressure guage I get a closer look at the tires.
Do you know that you only have 11 square inches of rubber on the road?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

Thanks for the info ... I don't use em ... keep it simple ...

Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 PM
wiggy100
Intermediate

Wow, 11 inches. That is a new trivia point. I'll keep that in mind next time taking an exit ramp at 50 + mph. I don't do that often though

Oh, and I don't use the Accu Pressure caps though I did consider it at one time. Prefer to get close to the tire regularly as mentioned in a previous post.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:41 PM
gregm
Cruiser

The valvecorewas found to be loose when the front tire lost air. It also explains whymy test tireheld pressure when I cut the plastic part off with a pair of pliers,the core was tight. I willpass on anyreply I recieve from Accu-pressure.I'll be checkingthe pressurewith a guage from now on.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
gmjhd
Cruiser

These things are great on cars and trucks,but they are dangerous on motorcycles. I lost my front and went down on I-85, thank God I was getting off . I had noticed the front acting squirrely. Lucky I had some co2 air to get me home . I changed the tire I did not trust itany more. RIDE SAFE! Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
gregm
Cruiser

This is the official reply from Accu-pressure......

Dear Sir,[/align]We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with our product.[/align][/align]Best Regards,[/align][/align]www.accu-pressure.com[/align][/align][/align]That's it, no concern, no signature, just a link to their website (why, so I can order more?).A reputable company would at least ask for some details to possibly improve the design,see if I did something wrong,or what may have caused the problem so it won't happen to someone else. And "Best Regards"? That'll help with the hospital bills. Liability? what liability? Just send us your money.[/align] Gregm[/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Geez, I've got'm on my Ultra and had them on the Deuce I had with not problems. They make it easy to check tire pressure, now I not sure what to do.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accu-pressure tire valve caps can be unsafe