Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back-firing after installing slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
banshee23
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-firing after installing slip-ons

I need some expertise. I installed Vance and Hines Ovals on a 2007 Electraglide classic. I had a dealer install SE aircleaner and do a stage one download. I now get loud " bubbling" sound and backfires on decel. Before all this, I just got the "normal" rumble when down-shifting. Am I paranoid or can just hear the noise better with the V&Hs? or do I now not have enough back pressure I was ok with the noise until today, when I traveled to Deal's Gap. The bike was starting to sound like a Mississippi pulpwood truck after a couple of runs on the Dragon. Anyone else with a simular experience? And before you ask, no the mufflers are still on tightly.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Back-firing after installing slip-ons

You might be running a little lean -- I'm guessing that the HD downloads try to stay with the EPA crap. I also got the decel backfiring on my 06 RK Custom with the Stage-1 & V&H Ovals. Adding a PC-III & tweaking it took care of the problem.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
DDGLIDER
Intermediate

I CANT SAY I'M FEELIN THE LOVE WITH THE V& H FOR THE SAME REASON! TOOK THE BIKE TO H-D, THEY REJETTED CARB. MAJOR POWER DIFFERENCE, BUT MAJOR POPPING ON DECEL. PUT A K&N STOCK FILTER ON. ADDED MORE POWER, BUT STILL POPS SILLY. HD SAID TRY THE SE 1 TO GET MORE AIR INTO THE ENGINE ( AND OUT THE EXHAUST). THAT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!! NOW ITS ONLY A MILD RUMBLE ON DECEL. ADDING THE SE 1 ADDED EVEN MORE POWER, HOWEVER, THE EXHAUST, AS IF THE V&H WEREN'T LOUD ENOUGH, GOT LOUDER ALSO. NOW ITS SOMEWHAT ANNOYING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. $480 FOR THE V&H, 85 FOR THE K&N, $140 FOR THE SCREAMING EAGLE KIT....$$$$ LIVE & LEARN...OH, AND $380 FOR HD TO TELL ME THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BIKE! SHOULDA WENT WITH THE SE SLIP ONS INSTEAD.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
DanB
Tourer

Decel popping is nothing. You will get used to it soon, and after a while it really doesn't bother you. Means bike may be tad lean...but when you start trying to adjust..you lose something else. Let it alone. It won't hurt.

Danb

Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM
pasquali
Intermediate

I have thePython slip-ons and true duals Stage 1 Air. Did not re-mapp with the duals.I have always had the pop on decel and it seems most of them do with the free flow pipes even after a new download.I do agree with Gunkholes though... one of the fuel optimizers help because you can fine tune. Depends on how much you want to spend. The SERT, Thundermax, Power Commander and Revtech are all good. All have their preference. I like the Revtech for the price and you not messing with the mapp. If you are not getting any engine fault codes and it runs good....I would leave it alone. that's just my experience and opinion and you know what their like... we all have them. Do you like the V&H Ovals??? I'm looking for something with a little more *****.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM
banshee23
6th Gear

Thanks everybody. I was going to use a fuelpak before the dealer advised me that the stage one download would be enough to compensate for the loss of backpressure after removing the stock mufflers. I just hate to spend more money on something that may not even be necessary. I can live with the popping if there is no long term danage being done by it. Also, Pasquali, the ovals, in my own humble, old man, always solo rider, opinion, are plenty loud without being obnoxious. I ride without the support or even tacit approval of my wife. In other words, she doesn't pay much attention to the bike, but she is a stickler for details. she has not noticed the difference in sound, yet, but I definately have and I like it.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are poppong on decel, it is not lean.
Popping occurs on decel because of richness.
Unburnt fuel is detonating in the pipes.
dont worry about it.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
banshee23
6th Gear

That makes sense, Mikeeeeee, especially since I noticed a 4-5 mpg decrease in fuel economy after the pipes went on. Think the dealer download was deficient or maybe the SE aircleaner was more restricitve than say a K&N or Ness ? Either way, I guess as long as I do not see skidders bringing me logs to the side of the road, I should just ride and hush.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check for leaks at the joints where the mufflers attach you may need to seal it with a little high temp rtv

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

BINGO....!!!

Slip Ons are notorious for decel back fires and popping because unlike a full system, they are prone to leaking at the joint and allow air into the muffler. The addition of air allows unburnt fuel to ignite causing your pop or bang.

LEAN causes popping, not rich. This was easy to prove on older carbureted bikes. You could pullout the choke on decel and if the back firing ceased, chances were you had a leak.

Check the connection where the muffler mounts the pipe. Check your clamps to see that they are all the way to the end and even. Check that they are tight enough. You might need high temp RTV.

Quick Reply: Back-firing after installing slip-ons