Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Waxing Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM
EddiePear
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Waxing Procedure

I washed and waxed my 08 Ultra last night. Discovered a new way to wax and protect all the plastic pieces, at least it was new to me. I started waxing the bike with the traditional paste wax and discovered if you get the wax on plastic or leather it leaves an ugly white residue when it drysthat is almost impossible to get off. I used Turtle Wax Liquid "Ice" on all the plastic pieces, let it dry and wiped it off. I then applied the traditional paste wax to the rest of the bike. The paste wax came off the plastic pieces with ease. No whiteresidue on any plastic. For me the traditional wax seemed to work best on all the painted parts, "Ice" seemed to work best on plastic. Any thoughts...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
prc1333
Tourer
Default RE: New Waxing Procedure

Sounds good... I haven't used ICE. If you ever get wax on a plastic surface that you can't get the wax out of, WD-40 on a cloth works great. Try in an out of way location first. WD-40 is great for getting the sticky stuff from labels off chrome as well. [/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
stvmike
Cruiser

I used it on my Ford Truck, I wasn't impressed.
I only use Harley's wax and cleaners on my bike.
I don't know why I started using them but I like them.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

T-Wax ICE is AWESOME!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Scootr
Road Master

I'll have to try the ICE. So far I really like the Harley Gloss and a microfibre cloth for and easy quick detailing.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not found anything from Turtle yet that didn't have a lousy finish, durability and residue. But hey, maybe this (Turtle Wax Ice)one is it! For the cars anyway. For the Hog, I'm sticking with tried-and-true Zymol.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice is very good stuff, my son turned me onto it. Great for a quick wax!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: EddiePear

I washed and waxed my 08 Ultra last night. Discovered a new way to wax and protect all the plastic pieces, at least it was new to me. I started waxing the bike with the traditional paste wax and discovered if you get the wax on plastic or leather it leaves an ugly white residue when it drysthat is almost impossible to get off. I used Turtle Wax Liquid "Ice" on all the plastic pieces, let it dry and wiped it off. I then applied the traditional paste wax to the rest of the bike. The paste wax came off the plastic pieces with ease. No whiteresidue on any plastic. For me the traditional wax seemed to work best on all the painted parts, "Ice" seemed to work best on plastic. Any thoughts...
I don't do this on the bike, as I have little problem with plastic and wax, but on my car I always apply some Armor-All on all plastic and rubber before waxing. This serves the same purpose and also preserves the material. The car as lots of black plastic moulding that readily shows wax.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the ICE on both my Accord and Xterra. I think its a harder and longer lasting finish, plus it does a better job on plastic and rubber trim than Armor All. I haven't tried it on a bike yet. I always used the Maquiar's 3-step on my Dyna, won't wax my Ultra until next spring....had a body man tell me not to wax new paint for at least 6 months to give it time to cure. Oh, and another nice thing about ICE is no white dust to chase around when buffing. It does take a little getting used to because it has a greasy feel. I usually apply it to the whole car at once, let it dry awhile, then go over the car at least 2 times with clean towels...changing towels frequently. Also the bottle says you can do a wax job in full sun without causing a problem getting it off.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I strongly recommend you go over the bike with a clay bar before you wax it for the first time and at least once a year after that. you will be surprised how well the wax job is and how long it lasts. It sold under different names, Clay Magic, Clay Bar, etc. My personal preference is any of them with a solid bar rather than a liquid. Just follow instructions and you will be impressed. Dan

Quick Reply: New Waxing Procedure