Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
rdurantb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

The posts on saddlebag thefts are painful to read. I've got an 07 RK. One of the posts indicated that someone knowledgeable could get into a locked bag. From what I've read here, this could defeat the elaborate steps taken to change the stock mounting system.
So, here's something I've been thinking about. Hardware stores have "U" shaped bolts of various sizes. If one were to drill two holes in the bottom of the bag and then run the right sized U bolt around the support pipe (that is outside the bag, and underneath it ) and through the holes, and bolt it inside the bag, the thief would have to loosen and disconnect the nuts inside the bag that hold the U bolt in place. (That or start disassembling the bike to take the pipe down.) To prevent the thief from removing the nuts holding the U bolt, there would be three pieces of steel, each about 1/8th inch thick, all running between the U bolt ends. The bottom piece would have two holes, one in each end and it would slip over the ends of the U bolt and effectively hold the U bolt in place inside the saddlebag. The next piece, the middle strip of metal, would be epoxied to the third strip of metal, which would resemble the first strip except it would be on the top of the other two strips. Put another way, the three strips would form a sandwich. The two ends of the sandwich would look identical, simply straight strips of metal with holes in the ends which allowed the metal strips to slip over the bolt ends. However, the middle strip of the metal sandwich would be welded or epoxied to the top strip and would only run from one nut to the other nut. The purpose of this strip would be to stop anyone from turning the nuts. So the middle strip of metal would have to fit exactly flush against the sides of the nuts when they were turned just right (to present flat surfaces to the middle strip of metal.) With the middle strip of metal epoxied or welded to the top strip, no one could loosen the nuts without removing the top (and middle) strips of metal. Now, if a hole is drilled through the middle area of all three strips, then a pad lock (combination preferably) cold be run through this hole and the padlock would then be upside down in the bag. No one could then unscrew the U bolt without dealing with the padlock.
While this seems like some work, it seems workable and reasonably so. Probably as simple as fiddling with the stock mounting system. Especially given the raised area in the bag, which sits over the bag support pipe. One would have to epoxy metal washers in the bottom of the bag to prevent the U bolt from widening the holes. Likewise using rubber grommets would make the holes leak proof. Further, a stack of washers or spacers inside the bag would provide the interior nuts a surface to bear upon to tighten reasonably well, to stop rattles and movement.
One advantage of this system, besides the obvious (no need to mess with the stock mounts or worry about the stock saddlebag lock being defeated) would be for those who have a paging alarm system. Not necessarily sensitive enough to stop bag thefts otherwise, with this system when the thief thinks he has the bag (defeating the stock systems) he will start yanking on it and activate the pager. With some timing the owner can round up some friends and, uhh detain the crook for law enforcement.
Well, that's my idea. Before I try it, wanted to see what you think and see if I've missed something or if someone has come up with a simpler system. Saddlebags are expensive. What do you think?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

Colt 1911.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I'd just let State Farm buy me a new set.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The whole bike can be disassembled with the tools that a guy can carry in his pants pockets. Keep your insurance paid, try to park in good places, and quit worrying about it. If you can not stop worrying about it, see your doctor. He can prescribe some medication to help you.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

I park my bike in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods sometimes, and nothing's gone missing yet.

I stopped worrying about that kinda' stuff. If I get bit, then maybe I'll start worrying again. a friend of mine carry's his goofy looking sport bike full face into everyplace we go.. it's one of those multi-colored clown things you see the sportbike guys wearing.. WTF.. I just leave my helmet hanging off the bike.

I got a $1K camera in the saddlebag.. they steal it, they steal it. There's more where that one came from. That's what insurance is for.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe some one needs my saddlebags more then me?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
courage
Intermediate

A bit of advice that I was told when I was a bit younger.......

A LOCK WILL ONLY STOP AN HONEST PERSON!!!

if somebody wants it bad enough, they will get it. If you go to those measures, sooner or later they are just going to lift up the bike (with 8 guys) and put it in the back of a U-haul.

I am not worried about big thefts (saddle bags, entire bike, etc) on my bike. It is the small stuff, like scratches, scuffs, and anything under $500. Because that is where insurance kicks in. But you cant live life worried about what someonce else is going to take from you. Just do your best to keep it safe and yourself sane. If that means fabbing some new brackets and locks to help with the sanity then by all means. I think I will just have another beer and make sure my insurance check gets to the company on time so they keep me covered.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I would just replace the twist lock system with a nut and bolt. Thieves can still get it off, but it's going to take a while and the chance of someone seeing them (remember the parking in a good spot advice) dis-assembling your bike will probably be deterrent enough.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
SoCalRyder
Advanced

I putone carriage bolt in each bag to keep honest people honest. Also never have to worry about bags falling off if the clips fail.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38319/68EC257739B84EFC8A0E1AB17D934F0E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like too much to worry about. Like said above they can dismantle alot of things off the bike, or just take the whole bike. That's what insurance is for.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention