Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
richjweiner
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Handlebars

I rode the past 12 years on my '98 Heritage Softail Springer FLSTS and hated to part ways - but I needed some more comfort for distance riding. So I buy a 2011 EG Ultra FLHTCU and love it. However, the handlebars are killing me in short order. After only 30 minutes, I find the outside palms on my hands killing me. I tend to ride very upright, I'm, 6 foot tall and the bars feel like they are the right distance - but all pressure is on the outside palm area. I end up grabbing the grips with my palms off the ends to relieve the pain.

My old bars had much more bend at the wrist - more like the thumbs point forward down the road rather than at each other. They nars also turned down just a bit. The resultant angle and positioning was somewhat akin (apologies to all offended) to where they would be if you were - ahem - behind your girl friend doing your daily aerobic exercise and gripped each side of her hips for "encouragement".

I have tried to identify the old bar part number, but the OEM parts manuals show two sets of bars but never give the part number of the one with the greater sweep angles.

Can anyone think who would have old-school bars like I had or think that getting a set of bars off a 98 FLSTS would even work on my EG? I'm getting to the point where I want to put a conduit bender on the damn thing and bend the bars where I want them.

Thoughts? (besides the visual I created describing the hand position above). I put a picture that compares the new bars (top) to my old bars.

Attached Thumbnails Help with Handlebars-handlebars.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're not looking for much more height everyone seems to like the Wild 1 model #575 bars

Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM
richjweiner
Stage II

Not a height issue so much as the angle for my wrists. What irks me, is dropping $23k at HD dealer and - even thought I asked - they never did a "fitment" assessment. I told them I wanted bars like I had (traded in the bike to them) and they told me "I don't think you can get bars like that on the EG". So much for that extra customer care....

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts

That is exactly why I run Khromewerks sweepers. Here is a pic compared to stock. Stock on bottom, KW's on top

Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

I came from riding 10 years on a Heritage Springer as well, but switched for the same reason-I am planning on doing more touring and I am just getting too old to do it comfortably on the old Springer (still the best looking bike ever made by the MoCo IMHO). I went with the Harley Pullback bars and tipped them down a little bit. Not exactly the same as the springer bars, but I'm comfy now. Springer bars will not fit on the E-glide as the center portion is not wide enough.