Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo/Speaker Wiring on Police Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:51 PM
coolharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo/Speaker Wiring on Police Bike

My winter project is a Sony deck installed in my Police Electra Glide. Does anyone know if the wiring on a Police bike will have a factory harness usable for the radio, like the Electra Glide Stardard bikes?? I'm hoping something will work, without having to custom wire/harness the whole bike. Thanks.

Oh, one other question: Anyone have an opinion on whether Hogtunes or Hawg-Wired speakers are the better choice??

Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stereo/Speaker Wiring on Police Bike

Try biketronics first that will have a harness and solution for your bike. Then use Hog tune speakers. This will get you on the right track.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

biketronics doesnt have the wiring for our police bikes,police bikes dont come with hand controls for the stereo. the kit they have is to install a sony deck into the electra glide and use the factory handle bar controls. i was told the factory harnes is there by someone,the police wiring is all additional,however the dealer says none of the wiring is there. I have the sony 5710,hog tunes(awesome sounding) and the basic biketronics mounting kit,i'm waiting for spring to install it all,bike is being stored at the dealer for the winter.I have the factory service manuals(04 touring & 04 police supplement,with all the wiring diagrams,so hopefully that will help this coming spring.

if you figure it all out,PLEASE..... let me know how you hooked it all up, thanks,good luck

Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

My '89 is an old Jersey city Cop Bike. I went with a Pioneer Am/FM/CD/MP3 deck and J&M speakers.

Didn't bother with the hand control wiring deal, Way too much of a pain in the *** and too much cash to retrofit the hand controls.
Just ran a power lead from the battery, a lead from the orange accesory wire from the ignition switch and a ground wire. That's all the Radio needs to run. Quick, clean and easy.

Wire up the speakers and decide on an antenna. I went with a hidden, powered one from an auto parts store for 10 bucks. Tapped into the orange accessory lead again and ran a ground wire and stuck it on the inside of the fairing. Reception works very well. Total cost for the entire setup ran about $220.

The thing I like best is that now I burn 170 mp3's to a cd, put it in and hit the road. MP3's have a different compression algorithim than a CD format so they are a hell of a lot better at not skipping when going over bumps in the road.

The winter project right now, is that I'm adding 2 more J&M speakers to the front fairing for a total of 4 speakers. I made the tourpac a quick disconnect and I'm running an RCA cable from the stereo to a 2 channle amp hidden in the tour pac to power the rear speakers. For 2 up riding the tunes will blast with six speakers and for solo rides I'll still have 4 of them blasting at me.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:16 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I think I will be getting the factory hand controls wired in, because I just want to have that ease of use.

Four speakers in the fairing? That sounds awesome. So where are you locating the 2 extras?

Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

The 89 to 96 inner fairings are shaped differently than the 97 to present modles. Where the current modles can place mirrors on the fairing, the older ones can't do that, so there is a relativly flat surface on those older fairings that can be leveraged to install 2 additional speakers next to the locations of the factory 2 speakers.

The stereo I used has a integrated MOFSET amplifer built in, so I can take all 4 speaker feeds from that din connection and run them directly to the speakers. There are still available RCA inputs on the stereo as well, so I'll leverage a pair of them to run and RCA cable to the hidden amp in the Tour Pac to run the tourpac mounted speakers when It's fully "dressed" for the long hauls.

Good luck with your project. If you have the factory manual, you can also get the Police appendix for your year bike. I found that both of them helped me a lot with the rebuild and rewiring of the Old 'Glide...