Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chubby's on RK Custom

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chubby's on RK Custom

I have an 07 RK Custom with the Chubby Beach bars, and I can say in my humble opinion they blow away the stock "Beach" bars. I don't really consider the stock bars Beach bars......

I was torn between Chuby 16' Apes, or the Beach Bars.....I went with the Beach bars and couldn't be happier.

Swapped the bars out myself, took a little over 7 hours for the whole job. Ran all the wires inside the bars, except for the turn signals. I had everything inside the bars before I realized that the Chubby bars are not dimpled for the turn signals. So rather then tear everything down again to drill the bars I pulled the turn signal wires out and ran them down the bars, brake side of the bars worked out great you can hardly see the signal wire, left side you can see the three ty-raps, still doesn't look bad, this winter I'll put the light bar on her and will relocate the signals.

I've taken 3 trips over 800 miles a pop with the new bars and I have not had any discomfort issues. My bike is also lowered in the *** end with Progressive 11.5 440 HD's. I am 5'7' and the stock bars wore me out! Took a5 day 1500 mile trip earlier this year (The Dragon)with the stock bars and I was in serious pain and needed to self medicate at the end of each day!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
mlawrenc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do those beach bars make you reach forward or is your riding position pretty similar to stock on the custom..? At first I didnt like the custom "wheelbarrow" handlebars because it made my wrists feel awkward, but I have grown used to them and dont mind them - but I am planning to swap to braided cables and when doing so I want a bar I can hide the wires as well - so I need to pick a bar so I can get this done over winter.I assume that the 508 is basically what my custom has on it now for the most part is that correct..? I really like the look of the 550 beach bars , but I am not sure what to expect with those bars - I also like the 518 look as well - but I am not sure how much I will have to reach with those. Also, if any of you who have beach bars on a road king could post a pic that would be sweet. Thanks a ton.

Marcus

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

mlawrenc,

There is no reaching forward for me with the Chubby beach bars, they feel very naturalto me. They do spread you out a bit further then the stock "beach" bars, and the wrist position is very comfortable for me.

They make the bike look allot better in my opinion also. The riding position with the Chubby beach bars put me in mind of a 76 FLH I had quite a few years back.

I don't have any pictures of my bike nor do I know how to post a picture on this site, I'm kinda new around here. The Chubby's website does have a picture of a red RK Custom with their Beach bars.

http://www.wild1inc.com/wo550onbike1.html

I will snap a few pictures of mine over the weekend, and try to post them on Monday. Mine is lowered quite a bit both front and back, so the larger Chubby Beach bars really add to the "Low Rider" look I was going for.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 AM
jarman
Cruiser

How about 18's

[IMG]local://upfiles/8709/53EF09AC97434F97BAED3CB99D8891B5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

Damn jarman, those are sharp! A bit to tall for me, but man do they look good!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
RoadKing06
Advanced

I'm running the WO550 on my 06' Road King. I look of the 1.25 bars is great!. The position is very comfortable for me, I like to slouch in the seat a bit. I took advantage of the change to extended the wiring and run them inside the bars for a cleaner look. No plug or endorsement intended purely informational, I used the wire extensions from Novello. They are colored and have the factory style connectors.

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

had apes last 15 years. everybody asks dont your arms get tired, a'int they uncomfortable. I say i can't understand why new bikes don't come with them. KEEP THEM APES HANGIN

Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Mac_ThePike
Stage IV

I'm interested in this also because I've gotten the "new bar itch" as well. Anybody have or had beach bars (W0550) and didn't like them or absolutely loved them? If so what was the reason for the love or hate? Of course pictures to drool over are always welcome

Thanks

Mac

Old 11-16-2007, 12:39 PM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fishafly

ORIGINAL: rkcrwlr

Check for interference with the customs little wind deflector on the bar clamp cover. I was told that the 1.25 bars interfer with it.
Not true... 1.25's fit no problem... the wind deflector is above the risers...
Thats good to know. I would love to add the deflector on to my scoot. As far as the 518s go, I love them. They sit slightly wider, pull closer, and put me in a position that gives me more control - barely press the bars to countersteer.They balance the bike better for me.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 PM
mlawrenc
Intermediate

I saw on their web site that they recommend the 508's over the 518's for shorter folks - anyone know why..? At 5'10" is the 518 going to cause me reach issues..? Also, from looking at the specs on wild1's web site it sorta looks like the 518 and the 550 beach bars are pretty similar in spec, with the major difference being the 518's set a few inches higher, and the 550 pull back a slight bit more - does that sound about right.? Also, if any of you have pics with beach bars installed I would be grateful if you would post em - the pic on wild1's web site does not do a great job of showing the bars off imo.

Thanks

Marcus

Quick Reply: chubby's on RK Custom