Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chubby's on RK Custom

Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
MOTOWN RIDER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chubby's on RK Custom

I'm glad you posted this question and got some good responses. I posted the same exact question on the same day but on the General forum and only got one response. I'm soooo hurt...

Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5'10" and the 518's are great for me. From what little I have ridden with the 508's they seem to pull back farther than the 518's but the 518's are wider and have a much better hand position in my opinion. The 508's seem to put the hands a little lower while the 518's set higher and wider. This past summer the wife and I went west to Co., Ut.,Wy.,Mt., and SD. With the 518's and a Mustang seat. All told we did 4700 miles with 830 miles on the last day of the trip and the bars and the seat made the difference for me. My next bike will have the Mustang for sure and if it is a RK it will have the 518's on it. JMHO.

Jeff

Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM
stbunch
Advanced
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM
mlawrenc
Intermediate

Those apes look sweet, I was going to go with 16" apes at first, but I like my detachable windshield on for longer rides and I like it when the apes sit a little more forward like on your bike which would cause me to have problems with the windshield - and I have never been able to ride a bike with apes so I decided I should probably go with something like the 550's or 518's. Thanks for the feedback on the 518's, it sounds like that would be a good way to go - I am still interested in any feedback on 550's someone might have - also any pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marcus

Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

With the 18" I have, the shield will not fit unless I pull them back inline with the forks. It's fine, though, I only use the shield in winter.

stbunch: My bars are a little taller than yours, but I fipped the mirrors over, so they are under the bar, and they almost disappear now, instead of sticking up so high.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe mine are the 550's and they were uncomfortable for me until i went to a different seat. I have a 05 RK/custom, and with the stock seat, the bars were a killer , for me, I'm 5'9' then, after a change in seats, i went with the sundowner specifically for the RK/custom, it all came together. Good looks and is a lot more comfortable, but, I might at least try a set of 508's so i can turn a little better at slower speeds. It's not bad now, but, now, but, i've got to reach a little more in a tight turn.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mlawrenc

ok guys - I am having a hell of a time deciding which handlebars to go with, I have a 2007 FLHRS and have narrowed it down to either the W0550 (beach bars), W0518's, or the W0508's. I really like the look of the beach bars, but I am not sure how comfortable they will be on long rides. Anyone have them on your road king and love or hate them..? Are they difficult in slow speed maneuvers, do you have to watch hitting the tank at allon sharp turns etc. As far as the 518's and 508's - anyone have those bars and love or hate them..? I am 5'10" and have a Mustang seat if that makes any difference on how the bars might fit. Thanks in advance for any feedback on the different bars.

Marcus
I had the beach bars (check my photo album) really uncomfortable and you will definitely have to reach in a tight turn. Then I switched to the 518's (see my sig pic) better handling, better looks and a lot more comfortable.

The 508's are similiar to the stock RK Custom bars, just a little wider and they come back a little farther.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

OK fella's, this is my first attempt at posting pics.....I snapped a few of My RK Custom this weekend. I tried to get it from a few different angles. Hopefully this will help those of you on the fence to decide one way or the other regarding the Chubby 550 Beach Bars.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

A couple more.....

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

Well anyway there they are. I disagree that the Beach Bars are uncomfortable, to each his own I guess. So far as handling, sure it took an hour or so to get used to, but nowafter seven of eight hundred miles with theChubby Beach bars on the bike, I find that the bike handles much better then with the stock "beach" bars. Seems like I have a bit more leverage.....if that makes any sense... Even though I love the look of Apes, if I had it to over again I'd still go with the Chubby Beach bars.

After messing around snapping pictures, I held the old stock "beach" bars up to my chop you can kindasee in the background of one or two of the pictures, and I'm now thinking about using them on the next reincarnation of my chop!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chubby's on RK Custom