Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 FUEL TANK CAPACITY (CARB)

Old 12-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Ganno57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 FUEL TANK CAPACITY (CARB)

What is the fuel capacity of the 06 EG with a carb? The owner's manual states 5.0 gal "Total" and on the next line 1.0 gal "Reserve" carbureted only. I feel it is a 6.0 gal tank. All I know is that I consistently put 5.0+ gal in the tank every time I switch to the reserve on the petcock. I've asked several dealers and they look at me and say 5.0 gal total including the reserve. Is there something wrong with the petcock or are these dealers as dumb as a stump? I would hate to get caught on some back road somewhere unable to locate fuel thinking I still had about 40 miles of fuel to go and then get stranded.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 06 FUEL TANK CAPACITY (CARB)

The fuel tank capasity is 5.0 gal. When you get down to the final gallon you should hit your reserve. This depends on a few things. If you are going up or down a hill it can affect when you will hit reserve. You will show a different level on you gauge when you are sitting still as to compared to when the bike is moving. Your best bet is to get a good idea of what type of mph you are getting and how many miles you can get out of a tank then reset your trip meter everytime you fill up. For instance, I know that when I get to approx. 160 miles I need to start thinking about fuel. If I've been running 70 or close to it all day I'm gonna get close to 200 miles out of a tank. If I've been hot rodding then my fuel consumption will go up and I'll have to start looking a liitle sooner. With a carb bike I wouldn't count on going over twenty five miles after hitting reserve. It's not much of a problem. Most people like to stop for a break every 150 mile or so anyway. I haven't run out of gas for over twenty years.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 AM
w4egv
Cruiser

5 gal tank is all it is.. Reserve means get your butt to a gas station. I have never trusted the reserve on any bike. My 06 is injected and there is no reserve just an idiot light. It's better to trust your odometer and on another note, run your bike on reserve from time to times to keep the crud out of the bottom of the tank.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's five US gallons including the fuel you can't burn until you reposition the petcock to reserve.
Most of us use the odometer to tell how far since a fill up since the fuel guage isn't real exact.
Maybe you have the petcock on reserve all the time and you are almost bone dry when you fill up. I used to get confused about which way the arrow was meant to point on bikes with reserve when I was younger.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:57 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 gallons I have a 06 SG EFI and my light come on when I'm at about 1.2 gallon left. I been messing around with this for about 3 weeks now to get a better Idea. The SG and EG has the same size gas tank.

Old 12-26-2005, 12:14 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,

As stated you have a 5 gallon tank....give or take. The tank is rated at 5 gallons for a fuel injected bike, that means a fuelie with a fuel pump mounted in the tank. The pump displaces some of the fuel space. So your bike, with a carb and no fuel pump holds a little more gas, not enough to increase the factory rating but a little more.
And the "1 gal. reserve, carb only" is because fuel injected bikes have no reserve. Both bikes have the same tank and owner's manual.

DC

Old 12-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Ganno57
Tourer

No matter where I am, how I’m riding, I get 185 +/- miles on the trip odometer before I have to hit the reserve. This last time I was at 194 miles before the switch. I pay very little attention to the gauge knowing that they are about as accurate as the air temp gauge I see so many guys complaining about. I would be comfortable with having to switch to the reserve after hitting 160 +/- miles and then having to put in 4.0 +/- gal of fuel in the tank. But I consistently put 5.0+ gal in the tank after hitting the reserve valve. Saturday I put 5.4 gal in and had 201 miles on the trip odometer.

I used to get around 200 miles (stretching it) on the odometer on my 04 FXDI and that had EFI. The idiot light would come on and it consistently took around 4.0 +/- gal if I fueled it as soon as the light came on.

I’m coming up on 1000 mile on this bike and still trying to get used to everything. Like I said I just don’t want to get caught with my pants down unless it is with a …….. well you know.

I think I'll make some noise about the valve when I bring the scoot in for the 1000 mile service next week. I'll try to get the to put in a new valve and see if it does the same thing.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you filling past the plate in the tank? May sound like I'm stating the obvious, but I just found out my friend fills all the way to the top.

For me, that means about 3 gallons when my light comes on.

Do you use the same gas station every time? They might have a bad meter...

Old 12-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Ganno57
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Are you filling past the plate in the tank? May sound like I'm stating the obvious, but I just found out my friend fills all the way to the top.

For me, that means about 3 gallons when my light comes on.

Do you use the same gas station every time? They might have a bad meter...
I don't use the same station every time. For some unknown reason I don't even use the same brand all the time. I do use a station that has three hoses per pump. That way I only get premium in the tank instead of some mix from the person who filled with regular before me.

I fill the tank to the rim, just like I’ve done for the past 34 years. I do the cage the same way. When I had the 04 FXDI if you filled it too far the fuel would run out onto the ground via the overflow tube. None of my other bikes over the years dripped fuel after refueling. This scoot has never put a drop on the ground after fueling. What I think I’ll do is when the tank gets low is strap a measured 2 gal can on the back and ride it till it flat runs out of fuel in the reserve position. I should be able to calculate the reserve capacity by how many miles I drive between when I hit the reserve and then when it quits.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, It'll be cool if you got a bigger tank than 5 gallons.
I'll take more distance between fill-ups anytime!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 FUEL TANK CAPACITY (CARB)