Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new twist to an old question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A new twist to an old question!

OK, the question of whatexhaust to run has been beat to death, so I want to know 2 things -

1 - What exhaust have you had, seen or heard that you didn't like? Be specific - what didn't you like about it, etc.

2 - What exhaust would you get if you couldn't have what you are currently running? For this one, don't go by what you have read - go by exhaust that you personally have seen, heard, or even previously owned.

I figure these questions might help weed out the "what I bought is the best" input!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: A new twist to an old question!

1. wild pig slip ons and rinehart tru duals (current)

2. thunder headers --- many in my club have them both slip-ons and 2 into 1s--very loud nice sound ---riding behind two - three bikes with them on will have your ears ringing for hours
ORIGINAL: hoz88

OK, the question of whatexhaust to run has been beat to death, so I want to know 2 things -

1 - What exhaust have you had, seen or heard that you didn't like? Be specific - what didn't you like about it, etc.

2 - What exhaust would you get if you couldn't have what you are currently running? For this one, don't go by what you have read - go by exhaust that you personally have seen, heard, or even previously owned.

I figure these questions might help weed out the "what I bought is the best" input!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:26 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst I ever heard was using the stock headers and fishtail straight throughs.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 PM
HSdropout
Cruiser

When I purchased my bike new('03 RKC),dealer had installed SE air cleaner, stage 1 and SE slip on mufflers. I liked it sound was perfect to me and good power. Unfortunetaly after approx. 18,00 miles the right muffler got a rattle, baffle had come loose some how, rust out or whatever. HD stopped making that muffler in '06 and mufflers are covered under warranty. I was disappointed that I couldn't simply replace the mufflers.
I decided to upgrade to V& H Dresser Duals, V&H Basic Slip-ons and the V&H Fuelpak. For looks the new set upis killer, 2 head pipes, 2 heat shields and 2 slash cut fat mufflers...very clean. At first was like a jake brake on decel. V&H Tech had me adjust Fuelpak and problem solved. Then seemed very sluggishat low RPM's, V&H suggested some other setting changes and now it runs and sounds pretty good, I am sure I lost some low end torque though and after it warms up good it seems to idle at a lttle higher RPM.I'm am not real confidentthat it runs as good as it should, so I'm not real sure it was an upgrade other than cost.
I miss the original sound and low endpower so been thinking of going back to stock head pipes and Supertrap SE slip on muffs (I have heard that the original slip ons were made by/ same as the Supertraps.)

No big deal eitherway, just something to tinker with.......I truly love this bike.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:57 PM
HSdropout
Cruiser

You have a couple good looking scooters.....nice combo. I always liked those Road Glides too.
I assume you are trying to getinput for RG that is down for paint etc...............
To add to my orig. reply > my little brother has an '01 carberated RK with VH Dresser Duals and Hooker "tuneable" slip ons. They sound really good too, a little loud, but good.
From what I've read the D&D Fatcats are best power and best sound....they look really good for 2-1 also....

Old 11-22-2007, 05:16 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate the sound of a 2 into 1 Thunder Header and I think those Vance and Hines pipes like inyour picture also sound like crud.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:17 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you seen this poll I started?
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2470268/tm.htm

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to say, I must really be the black sheep. I *almost* could not care less about how an exhaust system looks, and for me, anything louder than a nice soft, stock putt in just obnoxious. Unbaffled pipes just sound like crap. And if you're doing it as part of a power upgrade, there are lots of fast(er) bikes out there for the same $$$ that a full build and accessories package cost. And before anyone says "I can only afford one bike", sorry... if you can afford $20k for a bike and anywhere from $1500 - $6000 (and more!!!) for a performance package, you can afford to put a *fast* bike (that actually handles well enough to enjoy that power) to stick in the garage.

That's why I have a CBR (with stock pipes, mind you) to accent what the Harley offers. And any talented rider can take a harley thru' a turn quickly regardless of its stock power offering.

$.02

Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think my Vance and Hines sound like a Harley. They are loud; very loud over 3k. I like the fact I can hear them at any speed. I ride low rpm most of the time just to not be obnoxious.

I've heard too many stories of proof that loud pipes save lives to poo poo it. I haven't experienced it.
This bike came with them, and after a lifetime of stock pipes, I'm enjoying it.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my Road King I've had The Stock pipes, then I bought a set of Rinehart TD's. I liked the sound of them but after doing engine work BB, Heads,and Cams,I wasn't happy with the performance. My bike felt like a DOG until the RPM's got to 3500. When I say a Dog I really mean a Dog, My Dads 88"er Road King would run right with me until 3500 RPM in any gear it didn't madder. So I decided to go the 2-1 route. Being that My Dad's Road King had Thunderheader slip-ons thatsound awesome,made it easy for me to decide which 2-1 I was going to go with. I'm very happy with my 2-1 Thunderheader I wouldn't change it for any other. But if for some crazy reason I had to buy a new Exhuast system and the Thunderheader wasn't available I'd probably go with the D&D.... But lets just hope I'll never have to worry about that.............

Quick Reply: A new twist to an old question!