Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Irishmike64
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working my way through all these great ideas...Keep em coming!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Irishmike64
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Onramp
Haven't seen this idea posted yet but I can't be the only guy to use this idea. I have the saddlebag guard bags on my bike - the one on the left with a water bottle and the full bag on the right for a first aid kit.

I didn't like the way the bags worked their way toward the outside of the bar much, so the first attempt to keep the bag upright was to use a small stainless hose clamp on the bar between the outside snap and the two inside snaps with the screw part of the clamp in the opening, supposedly blocking the bag's outward creep.

That didn't work though, as the bag material just started creeping up over the screw part. It was an ugly solution as well.

Next trick was to take some adhesive Velcro strips and cut them into about two inch strips. I put three of the fuzzy side strips across the top of the bar where I had marked the desired position of the bag with a Sharpie marker. The matching hook side of the material went into the corresponding area of the bag where it loops over the bar. I did the first strip of the hook side while the bottom of the bag was still hooked onto the bar so I would get the orientation right. I also kept the bend in the top part of the bag so the Velcro would have the best chance of holding and not being pushed out of place when the top was fastened over the bar.

After about three weeks of pretty steady riding and about 3,500 total miles on two HOT trips, the Velcro solution appears to be doing the job. I remove the bags every time I wash the bike or do maintenance where the side covers come off. No sign of anything coming loose. The bags stay on straight, and the water bottle holder is always in the same spot when I put the water bottle back.

Another hint - if you have trouble getting the bags over on to the second (tighter) set of snaps, leave the bags out in the sun till hot, or use a heat gun or hair dryer and then pull HARD to temporarily stretch the material enough to get the second set of snaps hooked up. Looks good, and probably helps with keeping the Velcro bonded in place.
Great Idea, Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Irishmike64
2nd Gear

Hopefully I'll be able to see Pics now!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 AM
Irishmike64
2nd Gear

Nope, still can't see em

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishmike64
Nope, still can't see em
I think it's like 5 posts and 5 days too. Real close I'm sure

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 PM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Onramp
Haven't seen this idea posted yet but I can't be the only guy to use this idea. I have the saddlebag guard bags on my bike - the one on the left with a water bottle and the full bag on the right for a first aid kit.

I didn't like the way the bags worked their way toward the outside of the bar much, so the first attempt to keep the bag upright was to use a small stainless hose clamp on the bar between the outside snap and the two inside snaps with the screw part of the clamp in the opening, supposedly blocking the bag's outward creep.

That didn't work though, as the bag material just started creeping up over the screw part. It was an ugly solution as well.

Next trick was to take some adhesive Velcro strips and cut them into about two inch strips. I put three of the fuzzy side strips across the top of the bar where I had marked the desired position of the bag with a Sharpie marker. The matching hook side of the material went into the corresponding area of the bag where it loops over the bar. I did the first strip of the hook side while the bottom of the bag was still hooked onto the bar so I would get the orientation right. I also kept the bend in the top part of the bag so the Velcro would have the best chance of holding and not being pushed out of place when the top was fastened over the bar.

After about three weeks of pretty steady riding and about 3,500 total miles on two HOT trips, the Velcro solution appears to be doing the job. I remove the bags every time I wash the bike or do maintenance where the side covers come off. No sign of anything coming loose. The bags stay on straight, and the water bottle holder is always in the same spot when I put the water bottle back.

Another hint - if you have trouble getting the bags over on to the second (tighter) set of snaps, leave the bags out in the sun till hot, or use a heat gun or hair dryer and then pull HARD to temporarily stretch the material enough to get the second set of snaps hooked up. Looks good, and probably helps with keeping the Velcro bonded in place.
That *is* a great idea. I used a zip tie where the leather splits. It seems to be working so far, but I'll make the velcro upgrade soon. Thanks!
-Paddy

Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by buschsr
I've Needed a cup holder on my SG since I got it. I'm not a fan of the cruiser caddy type, nor do I want it on my bars. So, today I made one to fit a large Tervis cup, or my coffee cup.

4' of 1"x1/8th" aluminum flat stock
Spare Highway bar clamp
Some screws and paint (not painted yet)

I'm going to run around with it for a few days unfinished to see if it needs any modifications before sanding and painting.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2cK...p=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2cK...p=docslist_api
Originally Posted by 04ctd
How to: 2011 RK spot auxiliary lights & high beams

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...igh-beams.html
Originally Posted by sbeast
picked up a few canvas organizer bags from home depot today

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-...9?N=5yc1vZc2g6

i attached this one to the inside of the saddlebag using the lid-strap screws

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Org...5?N=5yc1vZc2g6

this one is attached to the lid-strap itself, fits almost perfectly
Some brilliant ideas in here, just quoting a few for later use ;-)

Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 AM
USMC70
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bfon1987
Any suggestions for new pipes (StreetGlide 2013).want more sound but nothing crazy. Slip-on options ????
I just bought Rinehart 4 inch slip ons for my 2014 Street Glide Special. Love the look, little bit more deeper sound, sounds like a Harley instead of a sewing machine . I didn't want it too loud because I want to hear my stereo. Easy install too. Takes 20 minutes and you don't need Power Commander or anything similar. Bought mine at Fuel Moto.

Installed Rhinehart slip ons.

Last edited by USMC70; 09-26-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

good thread

Last edited by 04ctd; 09-29-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

from another thread, put them in here for reference:
I ran up to Lowes this weekend,

it's hard to find the parts in the drawers, so i took pics:

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$