Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Replacing/repairing footboard mats

I'll admit it. I'm cheap. My stinginess is legendary among my friends. In order to maintain my penurious image I did this trick to save some bucks. Yeah, new ones are a mere $29.95, but like I said before...I'm cheap.

The little rubber **** on the bottom wore out and allowed the mats to flap in the wind. I feared they would eventually fly away or fall off in the parking lot. I went to the parts bin and found various lengths of stainless steel button head bolts, washers and nuts. Cut off the worn out rubber **** and drilled holes through the mats in their place. Bolted 'em on with the aforementioned hardware and "voila!" (That's French for "awright!") My feet don't slip off the footboards, either. Been riding with 'em that way for years with no problems.

The bolts give it that Terminator robot look, too.

OK...so it doesn't have the Terminator robot look, but it did save about $25.00. That's more than a tank of fuel.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:36 PM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It works, I would check ebay and make a offer, lots of them are there, I'm cheap too;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...serts&_sacat=0

Last edited by collin; 10-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flips
I soldered two wires on either side of the button on the remotes circuit board, ran them to a momentary switch. Mounted the remote inside the fairing with tie wraps and installed switch on fairing. No need for a power source other then the 9v battery in the opener. Works like a charm.
I did much the same thing. I used a Harley Tripmeter reset switch, which makes the install look factory. And I soldered 12v leads from the bike to the remote, it'll handle the extra 3v without burning up. Never even need to change the battery.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 PM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small "In-Dash" Garage Door opener in lower fairing door

Here is a simple, easy place to mount a garage door opener momentary switch and transmitter, without drilling any holes in your original equipment. I bought this In-Dash brand garage door opener and receiver on ebay for about 45 bucks shipped and it works great. I looked at the ones you program to match your door opener, but to be certain I bought this one with a receiver and wired it in to the door motor, and it was cheaper. Took all of 5 minutes to wire the leads up.

Now, I purchased some plastic locking lower fairing glove box doors from ebay for about 32 bucks, then drilled a small switch hole to the left of the key cylinder on the right glove box door and velcro'd the little transmitter to the inside of the door also. So when you unlock and remove the glove box door, the transmitter and switch simply comes off with the door, and it is not in the way of anything in the glove box you may have in storage. Here are a few pics of both sides of the door after mounting them.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-20141030_224440.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-20141030_224505.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-20141030_224557.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-20141030_224609.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
immusicman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by immusicman
Here is a simple, easy place to mount a garage door opener momentary switch and transmitter, without drilling any holes in your original equipment. I bought this In-Dash brand garage door opener and receiver on ebay for about 45 bucks shipped and it works great. I looked at the ones you program to match your door opener, but to be certain I bought this one with a receiver and wired it in to the door motor, and it was cheaper. Took all of 5 minutes to wire the leads up.

Now, I purchased some plastic locking lower fairing glove box doors from ebay for about 32 bucks, then drilled a small switch hole to the left of the key cylinder on the right glove box door and velcro'd the little transmitter to the inside of the door also. So when you unlock and remove the glove box door, the transmitter and switch simply comes off with the door, and it is not in the way of anything in the glove box you may have in storage. Here are a few pics of both sides of the door after mounting them.
I have a rubber switch cover in black that will be arriving in a few days and I intend on putting it over the chrome switch which will camouflage the switch quite a bit.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 AM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser

Just curious why you didn't hook this up to one of the already-existing buttons on the switch plate on the lower portion of the fairing?

Originally Posted by flips
I soldered two wires on either side of the button on the remotes circuit board, ran them to a momentary switch. Mounted the remote inside the fairing with tie wraps and installed switch on fairing. No need for a power source other then the 9v battery in the opener. Works like a charm.

Back of switch inside fairing

Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 AM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser

MusicMan, that looks super-sweet!
Can you provide an Ebay link, with the receiver?

Originally Posted by immusicman
I have a rubber switch cover in black that will be arriving in a few days and I intend on putting it over the chrome switch which will camouflage the switch quite a bit.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM
flips
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH
Just curious why you didn't hook this up to one of the already-existing buttons on the switch plate on the lower portion of the fairing?
The main reason is that all of the buttons on the '14 are dummies except for the 1 working spot light switch and I would have had to replace the bank - Im not sure about now, but at the time I did this, my dealer was very unaware of any parts or pricing available for the 14 models. This switch cost me 7 bucks and I could mount it wherever I wanted - which is at the top of the fairing - where it can be hidden behind a set of windshield bags if I ever decide I want to come off the hip for the $$ harley wants for a set!!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Kevin.st
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome stuff here, dudes and dudettes.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM
immusicman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH
MusicMan, that looks super-sweet!
Can you provide an Ebay link, with the receiver?
Here is the link harley100th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garage-Door-...725885?vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$