Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Handy anchor point for bungee cords, etc.

I did this on my 2015 Ultra Classic. Since the bike does not have the metal passenger grab rails that makes it easy to bungee stuff down on the passenger seat, I decided to fabricate something of my own. I took off the "leather" grab strap from the seat by removing the two screws at either end. Then I acquired 2 chrome bolts (1/4" X 20 thread, 1" long) and 2 spacers (1/2" long) and 4 chrome washers. Stainless bolts would have been better cuz I find that the chrome bolts are often a tight fit and can bugger up the threads. I guess it's because the chrome plating makes 'em a tiny bit bigger? Anyway, I ran a die over each one to clean up the threads and they worked fine. Below is a description and a number of photos. You can alternatively go to my wildly popular (cough cough) website and see it there. (OK...so I get only 2, maybe 3 hits a week on my website. One of these days it'll catch on.)

Assembled them like this, and squirted a bit of blue Loc-Tite on the threads.

Threaded each one into the bolt holes vacated by the screws that used to hold the grab-strap. The next 3 photos show where it belongs.

Then I stretched a bungee cord over the seat to try it out. Voila! Works great. Using the 1" long bolt on my 2015 Ultra, there was plenty of room between the head of the bolt and the saddlebag lid. Regardless, if anyone decides to try this mod I would suggest making sure the bolt head won't hit the lid.

The following 19 users liked this post by Frank the Real Biker:
Afd1255 (04-20-2016), badfish0024 (09-27-2018), bbbwood (04-04-2016), BobRed0965 (04-04-2016), crazytown (04-06-2016), cruzrtwdgt (06-09-2016), Drair (04-06-2016), HarleyGTP (04-03-2016), head (04-05-2016), jammerx (06-23-2018), Jenady (04-03-2016), jyd83 (08-07-2021), Onramp (04-04-2016), Peanuthead (07-12-2016), Proline1969 (12-07-2016), raggmann (04-04-2016), Rhino-1 (06-26-2016), SSpeeDEMONSS (03-21-2018), UltraClassicWNY (04-04-2016) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tankthebiker
I cannot find a good write up thread on making the AUX lights on for both Hi and Lo Beam. I assume it is just a simple wire tip move?
When I bought my running lights from Kuryakyn, the in-line harness automatically fed the lights from the AUX switch. The running lights are on all the time. Nothing to do with the high or low beams.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:07 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
I did this on my 2015 Ultra Classic. Since the bike does not have the metal passenger grab rails that makes it easy to bungee stuff down on the passenger seat, I decided to fabricate something of my own. I took off the "leather" grab strap from the seat by removing the two screws at either end. Then I acquired 2 chrome bolts (1/4" X 20 thread, 1" long) and 2 spacers (1/2" long) and 4 chrome washers. Stainless bolts would have been better cuz I find that the chrome bolts are often a tight fit and can bugger up the threads. I guess it's because the chrome plating makes 'em a tiny bit bigger? Anyway, I ran a die over each one to clean up the threads and they worked fine. Below is a description and a number of photos. You can alternatively go to my wildly popular (cough cough) website and see it there. (OK...so I get only 2, maybe 3 hits a week on my website. One of these days it'll catch on.)

Assembled them like this, and squirted a bit of blue Loc-Tite on the threads.

Threaded each one into the bolt holes vacated by the screws that used to hold the grab-strap. The next 3 photos show where it belongs.

Then I stretched a bungee cord over the seat to try it out. Voila! Works great. Using the 1" long bolt on my 2015 Ultra, there was plenty of room between the head of the bolt and the saddlebag lid. Regardless, if anyone decides to try this mod I would suggest making sure the bolt head won't hit the lid.

That's Genius!

Old 04-09-2016, 02:08 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Default Audio on a Road King

I decided to keep the Boom handlebar speaker cans on the handlebars and gutted the cans to install the new Hertz 4 inch speakers. I had to do quite a bit of customization to the speakers to make them fit but they do fit. I siliconed them in place and they are drying right now. I went to Americanhardbag.com and bought a full wiring harness for both Kappa 6x9 speakers the backbone to the front speakers and all other wires needed to run the amp. I worked with Rob Gomez at Americanhardbag.comand he was able to get me everything I needed. Their customer service and knowledge is fantastic. Initially, I thought I would create my own wiring harness so I went to eBay and bought all the parts I would need. All the parts ended up costing more than what the premade wiring harness would cost so I decided to return everything and bought the wiring harness from those folks.

For both handlebar speakers & the bag speakers I went to cruisercustomizing.com and bought hyperbobic paper to waterproof (more water resistant than waterproof) the face of the speakers grills and used silicone behind all the speakers to make sure no water gets into them. Then used a hot glue gun to glue the paper onto the grills for all four speakers. Now, I know that this will not keep the water out entirely, but if I can limit the amount of water that gets into any of them I think I'll be in great shape. Lots of folks on this forum (and others) have said that the hyperbobic paper and silicone I used is a great combination to keep the Infinity Kappa speakers and Hertz speakers relatively dry and will stand up very well to water. The silicone I used is actually made by Liquid Nails. It's a composite that dries completely clear, stays clear and allows for about 25% movement in the material while staying waterproof. I thought this would be a much better option than standard silicone.

With the help of HDforms.com and YouTube, I have successfully installed all four speakers, amp, volume control (from eBay) and wiring harness onto the bike. This is coming from someone that does not work with electrical a lot and I found it to be relatively simple. You just have to make up your mind to do it. Once I get the amp fully tuned for all four channels I know this is going to be very good and hidden solution to getting great music on the Road King.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:01 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Finished this today, crankshaft breather

Name:  B789B9B1-7E5A-4D29-9EF8-0750AC5038BD_zps0n8dactl.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  279.8 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by ScreamingSkulls:
crazytown (04-16-2016), Dacroof31 (05-03-2016), Hawg295 (06-10-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead
I decided to keep the Boom handlebar speaker cans on the handlebars and gutted the cans to install the new Hertz 4 inch speakers. I had to do quite a bit of customization to the speakers to make them fit but they do fit. I siliconed them in place and they are drying right now. I went to Americanhardbag.com and bought a full wiring harness for both Kappa 6x9 speakers the backbone to the front speakers and all other wires needed to run the amp. I worked with Rob Gomez at Americanhardbag.comand he was able to get me everything I needed. Their customer service and knowledge is fantastic. Initially, I thought I would create my own wiring harness so I went to eBay and bought all the parts I would need. All the parts ended up costing more than what the premade wiring harness would cost so I decided to return everything and bought the wiring harness from those folks.

For both handlebar speakers & the bag speakers I went to cruisercustomizing.com and bought hyperbobic paper to waterproof (more water resistant than waterproof) the face of the speakers grills and used silicone behind all the speakers to make sure no water gets into them. Then used a hot glue gun to glue the paper onto the grills for all four speakers. Now, I know that this will not keep the water out entirely, but if I can limit the amount of water that gets into any of them I think I'll be in great shape. Lots of folks on this forum (and others) have said that the hyperbobic paper and silicone I used is a great combination to keep the Infinity Kappa speakers and Hertz speakers relatively dry and will stand up very well to water. The silicone I used is actually made by Liquid Nails. It's a composite that dries completely clear, stays clear and allows for about 25% movement in the material while staying waterproof. I thought this would be a much better option than standard silicone.

With the help of HDforms.com and YouTube, I have successfully installed all four speakers, amp, volume control (from eBay) and wiring harness onto the bike. This is coming from someone that does not work with electrical a lot and I found it to be relatively simple. You just have to make up your mind to do it. Once I get the amp fully tuned for all four channels I know this is going to be very good and hidden solution to getting great music on the Road King.

LOL. Let's see it. Some of us are idiots without them.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Default I'm Done Settling for Boom Handlebar Speakers on a Road King...

Originally Posted by Hades02

LOL. Let's see it. Some of us are idiots without them.

Pictures are at the bottom of the thread...Finished product.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...road-king.html

Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead
Pictures are at the bottom of the thread...Finished product.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...road-king.html
Very Nice. Great job.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Made a simple electronic circuit to make the facia tri-bar led a run/brake led. 2 diodes, 1 resistor and $3. Hey, it was raining today. lol

Write up with diagram here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...brake-led.html

The following users liked this post:
Karnevil (10-15-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:48 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Made a simple electronic circuit to make the facia tri-bar led a run/brake led. 2 diodes, 1 resistor and $3. Hey, it was raining today. lol

Write up with diagram here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...brake-led.html

That is outstanding! I just read through your other post, and I think it's even something I could do.

The following users liked this post:
RistoRap (05-10-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$