Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Made my own breather bolts using 3/8"-16 all thread rod cut to needed length and chucked in hand drill with bit mounted in vise. The reason for making my own is Arlen Ness Big Sucker intakes exit internal and I dont want to drill and tap the intake and the stock bolts are too short and no one makes a length long enough. (2 3/4" total length here)

This way I can remove their internal exit breather bolts, insert rod as a hollow stud and secure with chrome washer and nut and tubing secured to rod end or add a 90 degree fitting to a barb and then plumb both sides to a T and then down to the ground via breather filter. Just another way to accomplish what others are doing with kits but home made.

Last edited by GregGillette; 05-08-2016 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crazytown (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
That is outstanding! I just read through your other post, and I think it's even something I could do.
If I can do it, you can! Posted a couple pics with run and brakes applied. Nothing earth shattering, but it is a little better to have all lights go bright when brakes are applied.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Made my own breather bolts using 3/8"-16 all thread rod cut to needed length and chucked in hand drill with bit mounted in vise. The reason for making my own is Arlen Ness Big Sucker intakes exit internal and I dont want to drill and tap the intake and the stock bolts are too short and no one makes a length long enough. (2 3/4" total length here)

This way I can remove their internal exit breather bolts, insert rod as a hollow stud and secure with chrome washer and nut and tubing secured to rod end or add a 90 degree fitting to a barb and then plumb both sides to a T and then down to the ground via breather filter. Just another way to accomplish what others are doing with kits but home made.
Nice! I cut the heads off of ss bolts, using only the threaded portion of the bolt, to make billet light mounts and ran wires through the hole. I thought I was the only one that would drill out threaded stock. lol

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Nice! I cut the heads off of ss bolts, using only the threaded portion of the bolt, to make billet light mounts and ran wires through the hole. I thought I was the only one that would drill out threaded stock. lol
I wanted to use hollow threaded lamp rod that is common but not in size I needed. That may have worked in your case but nothing beats solving problems in your own ways!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GregGillette
I wanted to use hollow threaded lamp rod that is common but not in size I needed. That may have worked in your case but nothing beats solving problems in your own ways!
Yeah, but I wanted ss, no rust, since it mounted to chrome fender struts and the threads were not typical.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Attono
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, just finished 187 pages of great ideas. Now if somebody would just post up on how to rig up a garage door remote...

Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Attono
Wow, just finished 187 pages of great ideas. Now if somebody would just post up on how to rig up a garage door remote...
Yeah I'd like a link on how to do that as well. I remember seeing it somewhere, but haven't seen it since.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats easy for me, i took an old remote i had and used super strong double sided tape and taped it to the under side of the mid frame air deflector so no one knows that its there but me.Just pull into the driveway reach down beside my leg and push the button, easy peasy!!

The following users liked this post:
jyd83 (08-07-2021)
Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Taxman
Road Captain

I bought a acc switch to add to my fairing. I'm gonna figure out how to wire it in someday. Until then, I tuck my remote in my tank bra.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

That actually really made me laugh. Really loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$