Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chinese made harleys

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Older Guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chinese made harleys

Chinese-Made Harleys
[/align]by Steve
Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tracy posted a comment on an older article, where she talks about Harley parts being made overseas...
[blockquote]One comment I will add here, is that for Harley lovers (Which I am one of them) to state put down a so-called metric bike and their argument is that you should own an American Bike, is rather contradictory, when most parts for HD are being outsourced and manuctured in Japan, Chile, Germany, China, Mexico and etcetera...while being shipped into the USA and assembled! Where as several of the Japanese made bikes are actually being manufactured and assembled both in the USA! So for HD owners to put down a so-called metric crusier and make the claim it's "just a rice grinder" and not a truly American made bike, is an oximoronic statement to say the least! [/blockquote]
This particular subject has been hashed out so many times before on other websites.

I suppose this whole notion of Harley's being made of foreign parts is going to play out even more as the years go by. While Harley's are still very popular, I'm beginning to see signs that interest is waning[/align]

Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: chinese made harleys

ORIGINAL: BANDIT

Chinese-Made Harleys
[/align]by Steve
Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tracy posted a comment on an older article, where she talks about Harley parts being made overseas...

[blockquote]One comment I will add here, is that for Harley lovers (Which I am one of them) to state put down a so-called metric bike and their argument is that you should own an American Bike, is rather contradictory, when most parts for HD are being outsourced and manuctured in Japan, Chile, Germany, China, Mexico and etcetera...while being shipped into the USA and assembled! Where as several of the Japanese made bikes are actually being manufactured and assembled both in the USA! So for HD owners to put down a so-called metric crusier and make the claim it's "just a rice grinder" and not a truly American made bike, is an oximoronic statement to say the least! [/blockquote]
This particular subject has been hashed out so many times before on other websites.

I suppose this whole notion of Harley's being made of foreign parts is going to play out even more as the years go by. While Harley's are still very popular, I'm beginning to see signs that interest is waning[/align]
WRONGHave anydocumentation ?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few customs assembled with almost all USA made parts, that's why they cost $40K and up. How many would pay that for an Eglide from Harley?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser

Chinese-Made Harleys
[/align]by Steve
Saturday, April 15, 2006

The funny thing is that all Jap bikes where derived from Harleys. Do some research and findout where they got thier original dies and castings.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
rick867
Advanced

must be a victory owner...........[:-]

Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

The funny thing is that all Jap bikes where derived from Harleys. Do some research and findout where they got thier original dies and castings.
[/quote]
Not true, this applies only to the Riyoku, a 74" flathead,produced under license to Harley, using the tooling provided by same, prior to WWII. Soon after the war, Hiroshi Honda began producing small bikes that grew as the years went by. He used no parts, dies or blueprints from Harley and I would say he was the father of the rice burners.
In the '20s and '30s Harley tried to establish a worldwide network of affiliates and dealerships by licensing the right to produce bikes using Harley's technology.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Then why post it? Again.

What signs? What is your source? Some dealers are on fire with sales, some aren't. The *entire* motorcycle sales industry is down, except for (IIRC) Ducati, up something like 27% over last year. Harley has hung right around the same percentage of sales for the last decade or so.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Slash

WRONG Have any documentation ?

How about the "Made in [Malaysia/China/Taiwan/Canada/Mexico] stickers on the boxes? They count?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: chornbe

ORIGINAL: Slash

WRONG Have any documentation ?

How about the "Made in [Malaysia/China/Taiwan/Canada/Mexico] stickers on the boxes? They count?
Sure they count....but so does the difference in saying most parts(in the original post) as opposed to stating a portion of the parts.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

Actually the Japanese bike makers did help keep Harley in business after AMF nearly put them out of business. When Honda started getting big in the 60s and 70s and Harley was going down hill they didn't want to be known as the reason HD died. They bailed HD out and Harley got back on track to compete as the American made option in a sea of foriegn made bikes.

Quick Reply: chinese made harleys