Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dalton and PhilM--ENGINE BUILDERS not just Assemblers

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Dalton and PhilM--ENGINE BUILDERS not just Assemblers

Many of us are enjoying the pics and descriptions as Guy (Dalton) and Phil (PhilM) build their 120" enginesusing Head-Quarters heads, pistons, cams, etc.

What's truly different about these builds from others reported on the Forum as "build parties" is the 120's they're building are NOTkits or packages that bolt together like the 95", 103" or 113"builds reported previously.

Consequently, Guy and Phil are nowENGINE BUILDERS, not assemblers. They've had to deal with clearancing issues with piston skirts, cylinders, etc. So they have had to some grinding and cutting along the way--something none of the kits or packages from HQ require when doing the 95, 103, or 113 kits that others on the forum have done or are currently building.

What's pretty amazing to me is that when they decided to go with these HQ 120" engines, Doug at HQ told them he had never built one himself--that he could provide the heads, cylinders, pistons, etc., but not having assembled one himself he couldn't speak to the clearancing issues involved. Dark Horse can and does set up the cases for the 4-5/8" crank and trues and balances itto provide the longer stroke to change a 113 to a 120, but whatever piston and otherclearancing issues involved would be discovered and dealt with by Guy and Phil. And as we have followed their progress, we have seen some of that engine building work that is not involved when assembling a package or kit.

So my hat is OFF to Guy and Phil as ENGINE BUILDERS, not assemblers--shoot, beingfine engineassemblers is great, but to beENGINE BUILDERS--WOW!!!!

Thanks, again, Guy and Phil for showing us how it's done.

P.S. Kevin's (Pirateye's) 113" Head-Quarters build will be chronicled here as well--he's just waiting on some "goodies" that are needed for the assembly. The case, crank, cylinders, heads, pistons, cams, etc.are here. His project, however, will be an assembly--no grinding/cutting required.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dalton and PhilM--ENGINE BUILDERS not just Assemblers

Well said.The beauty of this is that their enjoying their builds and sharing information to make the other person life a little bit easier. I'm not a wrench so I respect these guy craftmanship and knowledge. Thanks Phil and Guy.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, but it is not running yet . Just to make a point, yes, Doug at HQ did indicate that this was the first pass at the 120, so we would have to check and double check things, so we are doing just that. We are also giving feedback to Doug as we go so you can rest assured that the next generation of 120's offered by HQ will be more of a true kit, and will go together without going through some of the issues we are discovering. Doug is also building his 120 in a dyna so he will encounter the same things we have to verify what is needed. I can't imagine this in a dyna, it will flat fly! There are also two 120's that were HQ/Darkhorse builds that are up and running, one owner I have spoken to and you can tell even over the phone he has a permanent smile etched on his face

Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Many of us are enjoying the pics and descriptions as Guy (Dalton) and Phil (PhilM) build their 120" enginesusing Head-Quarters heads, pistons, cams, etc.

So my hat is OFF to Guy and Phil as ENGINE BUILDERS, not assemblers--shoot, beingfine engineassemblers is great, but to beENGINE BUILDERS--WOW!!!!

Thanks, again, Guy and Phil for showing us how it's done.
Well said pingman! Youmake a great point! I, personally, have been watching this with awe and anticipation, as I would one day soon like to try and tackle my own 107" or 113" build.I would also like to extend my thanks to both builders as they painstakingly take the time to intricately chronicle the whole build, not to mention the picks are wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One more thing guys, or I guess you can call it a request. When ya'll get those monsters done built andbroke in, I want video...lots and lots of video! PLEASE!!!!????

Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Well said Carl. I couldn't agree more. The extra time it takes to stop and snap a couple of pics, plus the excellent narrative both Guy and Phil are providing are really going to help guys out down the road. Really appreciated fellas.

I second the video request.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

What I most appreciate about these two fellas is the fact that not only do they take the time to post pics with explanations on an internet forum, but they BOTH have made themselves available for phone conversation regarding questions pertaining to Gearhead talk for those inquiring minds like myself.

THATcertainly sets these 2 apart from the rest of the flock! Great work guys and thanks again for your contribution to this forum.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree, sure is nice to watch these builds come along and makes for interesting reading. Hats off to Phil and Guy, great work fellas.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

excellent, informative information--hats off to both of you

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Good entertainment for us less mechanical guys.Someday im going to have to give it a shot,but probably just a HQ103

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dalton and PhilM--ENGINE BUILDERS not just Assemblers