Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assorted stupid questions on FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assorted stupid questions on FLHX

Well, here we go!
Can you lower a FLHX with Shock blocks like everyone puts on other Dressers or will stuff rub? Will it be TOO low and scrape going around corners at regular speeds? And - can you still slide a lift under it to clean her up?
Same question, but now regarding the H-D front lowering kit-- scrape? lift still work?
Bought a 08 Street Glide and just don't want to learn the hard way - been ridng for nearly 40 years but last 12 on Softails and before that was FXR's and a Shovelhead. Still learning though!
Tried a few times to post pics but it keeps coming back 'file too large" ?? Anyone know how to fix that?
Happy New Year guys

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Assorted stupid questions on FLHX

FLHX is aready lowered 1"in the rear, and any more is probably going to effect handling, and it is definately going to touch down in corners sooner. In fact, the stock Street Glide of my wife's will scrape a little sooner than my ElectraGlide Classic does in corners.

I have no problem getting a lift under her Street Glide, but there is not much room, so you might have a problem if you lower the front or rear. If you do, you can always run the wheels up on some short pieces of 2X8 and get the lift under it.

Bill

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you lower a FLHX with Shock blocks like everyone puts on other Dressers or will stuff rub?
No sure, but I am almost positive it will rub the tire because it is so low.

Will it be TOO low and scrape going around corners at regular speeds?
Not the problem of lowering see above problem

And - can you still slide a lift under it to clean her up?
You will have to search for a custom more expensive jack but yes you can get one with a low height. Just not going to be purchasing your normal craftsman, harbor freight or northern tool jack.

Same question, but now regarding the H-D front lowering kit-- scrape? lift still work?
Same as above, you are lowering the frame hieght so you need to search for a lower jack.

Tried a few times to post pics but it keeps coming back 'file too large" ?? Anyone know how to fix that?
Start an account with phtobucket to resize your pictures.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The touring bikes have 13" shocks on the rear except for the street glide. it has 12"shocks. I think you could let it down a little more but it would be at the risk of bottoming out in certain places. You might want to try one of the adjustable air suspensions for your bike, you could set it up wherever you wanted it then. you can lower the front pretty easily by changing the springs in your forks

Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM
texas steve
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: smokin

Well, here we go!
Can you lower a FLHX with Shock blocks like everyone puts on other Dressers or will stuff rub? Will it be TOO low and scrape going around corners at regular speeds? And - can you still slide a lift under it to clean her up?
Bought a 08 Street Glide and just don't want to learn the hard way - been ridng for nearly 40 years but last 12 on Softails and before that was FXR's and a Shovelhead. Still learning though!
Happy New Year guys
I tried a lowering kit (1.25")on my 07 FLHX with standard 12" shocks and it scraped pretty offten, even with the shocks pumped all the way up. I now have taken that off and purchased 11.5" (1/2" lower than the stock) shocks from Progressive (not air shocks). The ride is MUCH improved, but - on hard deep dips or big bumps you still bottom out (this is with the shcok set as firm as possible). But the ride is much better than the stock shocks. Never lowered the front.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

look online for a program called 'irfanview'. it is freeware, and can resize your pics easily and quickly.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with boarguard. Stock SG's scrape pretty easyso lowering will definitely scrape easier. Pumping the up the shocks will not raise the frame. A cheap jack will not just slip under also.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is why do you want to lower your bike. As everyone else has stated the SG is 1 inch lower from the factory. You don't state but is it because you just want the lowered look or is it because you are of shorter stature and need the seat lower. I have over 4,500 miles on mine now and think the ride is great, much better than my last Electra Glide and Softail Heritage.