Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road King Tires?

for mostly highway riding, which one do you think is a better choice?

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Dunlop Tires?

Metzeler ME880's...no question.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Metzeler Tires. Going on my "King" when it comes time to replace.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had no issues with the Dunlops 402s. I have 10K on both rear and front and the dealer said I might be good for another 5-7K for the rear.

Frank

Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Kreuzen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem with the lops - I like their w/w better than anything esle on the market.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock W/W are dunlops right? I have not yet taken delivery on my king yet.... it is at the dealer, just waiting for back ordered parts. I only ask, because if they are crap, then I would have the dealer change them...

Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

The stock Dunlops are fine, but if you ever change to something else, like the Metzler 880's for example, you'll never go back to the 'lops. Good reports coming from the E3's as well, plus the new Michelin Commanders, which are "endorsed" by HD. I cannot speak to the latter brands as I have not personally run them on a touring bike, though I do have the E3 on the rear of my Vrod.

Compared to the 'lops, the Metz's provide better wet weather performance, instilling more confidence, at least for me. The biggest thing is they do not follow grooves in the pavement like the 'lops, so less "wiggle" when riding those interstates with the rain grooves cut into them, and the slight edge which comes from the two lanes being slightly different in height, when changing lanes. The Metzler also "falls into" turns easier, and IMO handles better.

I don't know that I would swap tires on a brand new bike, as the 402's are quite servicable, but lacking in performance compared to some other brands/tread patterns.

For the fellow who's got 10K on the rear and expects to get up to 17K...that is remarkable!!! I've never gotten over 8K on a rear tire, regardless of brand, and I don't do burnouts. I do, however, ride agressively in twisties, and use the gears to brake, rarely using the brakes except when necessary in the twisties. From things I've read, gearing down causes some tire wear. Generally, I go through two rear tires for every front, or change the front with every second rear, barring tire failure by puncture.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
IronLegend
Tourer
Default RE: Road King Tires?

I don't have any problem with the Dunlops. Metzelers and the like are undoubtedly good tires but until I experience dissatistaction with the Dunlops I'll continue to use what the factory put on in the first place. I make it a point to check the tires regularly for any abnormal wear, cuts or cracks and air pressure.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Rico450r
Cruiser

I rode my 07 RK Custom for 9100 miles with the Dunlops. After getting my 21 18 combo & Mets I realized what a difference it made. You really don't know until you ride with both. With the Mets, it handled better and the ride was smoother. Also I did notice I had more control in the groves on the HWY. I will always by the Mets or Avons for now on. I know the Mets will wear a little faster, but for a better ride and a smoother ride, it's worth it.

Rico

Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

nobody's picking Dunlop E3's...hmmm interesting, to me they look too slick, but i thought they're supposed to be good

Quick Reply: Road King Tires?