Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help again with leaking forks

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
twilliams
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help again with leaking forks

Many of you helped me a week or so ago with my chrome slider swap. I have a leak that I am not sure if its the fork seal or not. The oil appears to be leaking fron the top of the upper sliders, I assumed that is the seal was bad it would be running down the lower slider. I did replace the large o-rings seal under the fork caps yesterday and tighned them "gutentight" since I can get a torque wrench in there. Will a seal that is not seated well leak from the top of the upper slider?

Thanks, hate to give up and go to the stealer but also want to be safe about it.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need some help again with leaking forks

Yes it will, did you lubricate the o-rings before you tightned the caps down? If not you may have pinched one.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
twilliams
Tourer

no i put them on dry, I "threaded" them onto the fork cap until seated all the way down then put the cap on.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
twilliams
Tourer

to clarify what I asked in my earlier post, will the oil leaking from seal that went into the lower slider show up on the upper slider? I have never wiped any oil from the lower slider but today on a short 30 mile ride I had a good bit of oil run down the upper slider and it looked like it came from right below the pinch bolt area.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I would guess that it's coming from the forkcap and that you may have pinched one of the rubber washers.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Take it apart to see where the source is.and to answer your original question,I say it could leak from the top.Thats why there are seals.
If your lucky,thats where it is coming from.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I agree with stro1965.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's not coming from the seal at the top of the slider and it's coming out above that and running down, only other place it could be from is the "O" ring under the fork tube cap. If you wipe the tube down clean, it should be obvious if it is running down or being pushed up from a bad slider seal when you ride again.

This is the part that is confusing in your post "from the top of the upper sliders,"

I am asuming here that you aren't referring to a ring around the fork tube a few inches above where the slider comes to rest that is being pushed up by a leaking seal in the slider.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: twilliams

to clarify what I asked in my earlier post, will the oil leaking from seal that went into the lower slider show up on the upper slider? I have never wiped any oil from the lower slider but today on a short 30 mile ride I had a good bit of oil run down the upper slider and it looked like it came from right below the pinch bolt area.
If it appears to be originating from the pinch bolt area, I would suspect steering head bearing grease breaking liquifying from engine heat. Especially if you lubed it while doing your upgrade and did not use a synthetic that will handle the heat. Check the top of the lower triple tree and see if it is oily and if it is I will also go out on a limb and say the your "leak" is on the left side.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

If your bike has air ride, check the air lines at the top of the forks too. I hit a pothole this summer and blew one of the air ride banjo fittings in the top of the tube, it pumped oil out like crazy on the way home. One of these slightly leaking could lead you to think it's a seal or o-ring.

Quick Reply: Need some help again with leaking forks