Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Ultra - How do you remove the seat to get at the Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
tata455
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ultra - How do you remove the seat to get at the Battery?

This may seem really simple to some of you, but if you have never done it...... ) I am trying to help an older friend with getting a new battery in his 2005 Ultra. Can anyone quickly tell me the proceedure for getting the seat out, where the fasteners are for it and the battery? He is getting frustrated and I am trying to rescue him!! If need be, email scan of the manual pages or pictures that I can send him. Also, by chance is there a way to charge the battery by just removing the side cover? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Default RE: 2005 Ultra - How do you remove the seat to get at the Battery?

Ok to remove the seat it is the one bolt in the rear for the rear tab is the only hardware holding the seat on. There could be a strap over the seat between the passenger and driver par that may require one side of the saddle bags be removed. Either one is fine and he would have to loosen the front most saddle bag bracket to remove only one side of the strap. Also for quick charging you have have a pigtail installed to the batt. HD sells them, and I am sorry I don't have a PM for you. Hope this helps. Seat removal and batt. removal should be illistrated in the onwers manual as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
tata455
Advanced

DOH - Owners manual, what a novel idea!!! LOL - I will call him and see if he has his and look in there. Thanks!!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

'05 did not have the strap..........it has the passenger handles.

Just 1 philips head screw at the back of the passenger seat, down on the rear fender. It's kinda hard to get at, but open up the tourpak and use a longer screwdriver and it will come right out. Pull the seat up and back and it will come right off.......there is a tongue on the front to hold it in place.

The battery is in plain sight after that...........1 small clamp holds it in place after you remove the cables.

Steve

Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tata455

DOH - Owners manual, what a novel idea!!! LOL - I will call him and see if he has his and look in there. Thanks!!
I'll add... if he has the driver backrest installed, you'll have to stick your hand down in the hole right behind the backrest and squeeze the two metal rods together, to unlatch it from the top of the fender. The backrest goes straight through the seat and locks into place on the fender. Once you get it off you'll see what I mean.

my 05 manual makes no mention of this .. or if it does.. I sure couldnt find it.

99%r

Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add....after you remove the screw and start lifting the seat from the back.....
keep an eye on the bracket connected to the back of the seat....it can scratch the tour pak pretty good

Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: notlost_nc

I'll add....after you remove the screw and start lifting the seat from the back.....
keep an eye on the bracket connected to the back of the seat....it can scratch the tour pak pretty good

That sucks that you learned that the hardway.

I took my stock seat off a week after I bought the bike............hasn't been back on since.

Steve

Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I'll also add, watch for the small white plastic washer under the rear of the seat tang...

Also, batteries can be hazardous, use some common sense here. Unhook the negative terminal first, be safe.....wear some eye protection working around batteries.

when you purchase the new battery, the sale person will say It's ready to go, well it's not. Hook the new battery to a "battery tender" until the green light comes on....

while the battery is out, this will be a great time to install the hard wire pigtail for the battery tender....inspect the battery terminals, look around for any frayed wires or connectors. Also a little dielectric grease in connectors keeps everything dry and in great shape, push all the connectors that you may see together insuring a snug fit.....

Take you time and have fun, but be safe...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a #3 phillips - usually the #3's are long enough to easily reach it with the tour pack open.
There's a lock washer, too.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced the phillips head screw with a 1/4 hex head bolt. So much easier to put in and take out. Just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ultra - How do you remove the seat to get at the Battery?