Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 CRUISE CONTROL KIT - ROAD KING FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 CRUISE CONTROL KIT - ROAD KING FLHR

I've been reading posts for a while now and figure I have to contribute something so here goes.
The local Harley dealer by me was running a 20% off sale on all accessories and I jumped on this. The kit retailed for $239.95 and picked it up for $191.96 not including tax. Time to install the kit took 2 hours (which includes digging up the tools and getting a beer out of the frig.).

Kit Number 77197-08
Tools required. Phillips screw driver, cutters (to cut ty-wraps and harness keepers), assorted box wrenches, tape and pen, Torx bits T25 & T27, thin blade screw driver (real small), and inch/pound torque wrench.
Photo of kit contents (remember this is for the FLHR only)

INSTALLATION: If your bike has a security siren the Maxi Fuse MUST be removed BEFORE the alarm is activated. This WILL happen within 5 seconds of turning the ignition switch to OFF position (except for HD-Japan models). If the Maxi Fuse is not removed promptly, the siren WILL SOUND. Remove the left saddle bag and the left side cover. Pull Maxi-fuse from Maxi-fuse holder within 5 seconds from turning off ignition. I don't have a siren but pulled the fuse for safety reasons anyway. Photo of Maxi Fuse
Follow the HEADLAMP NACELLE: REMOVAL instruction in the Service Manual to remove the handlebar clamp shroud..

[blockquote]
1. Remove the windshield and headlamp door (chrome ring) a Phillips screw is located at the bottom of the door or ring. Remove the headlamp housing by removing 7 Phillips screw (odd but they left 1 screw out, beats me, but there is room for 8 screws). Remove the headlamp by pulling off three wire plug.
2 Remove the chrome trim strip at the top of the nacelle. You'll find the nut inside the nacelle.
3. Remove the two Phillips screws beneath the fork lock plate. Place a thin blade screw driver under the plate and gently pry the plate upward.
4. Loosen (I removed the screw completely) the Phillips screw (that was under the chrome strip that you removed before) at the front of the shroud. Now here is where I did different. The manual states to also loosen the 4 acorn nut on the side of the headlight nacelle, I only loosen the 2 on the left side.
5. Raise the shroud slightly, separate the nacelle halves and slide the shroud forward to remove it from the nacelle.[/blockquote]
CAUTION: Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4mm) thick insert (I used a 1/4-20 nylon bolt, worked find) between the brake lever and the lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch.
[font="times new roman"]Getting away from the installation sheets I contemplated taking the hand control assembli

Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 CRUISE CONTROL KIT - ROAD KING FLHR

Only two hours,,that is tempting

Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent post! I want to put one on my bike. Thanks for posting that.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

It is an easy install. I had the kit for about 4 weeks before the install because I was waiting for the Service manual to come in. If I had to do it again, I would say the entire job can be done in 1-1/4 hours without rushing through it.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I just put cruise on my '05 EG Classic. It is not quite as easy as on the '08's but still wasn't too hard.

Bill

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Billiam92407
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any completed pics of the install on an 08 with stereo controls?

I'm doing my install on Friday

Old 01-10-2008, 04:09 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

may have to get that throttle boss right now.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

$35.00 to have the Cruise turned on in the ECM. 1/2 hour labor charge.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Nilsa210
Intermediate

can I put cruise control on '04 CARBURATED RK?? or only on EFI models

Old 01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoadKing_Al
20. Refer to the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN or the Touring Models Electrical Diagnostic Manual to verify the cruise control function on the vehicle ECM.
What does that mean?

Quick Reply: 2008 CRUISE CONTROL KIT - ROAD KING FLHR