Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Scratches

What is the best scracth remover for light to moderate scratches on black paint? Any different remover for heavy scratches? Also is it best to remove scratches by had or to use a buffer for heavier scratched and they go over lightly by hand

Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Removing Scratches

After doing some pretty in-depth research, I bought a Porter Cable 7424 buffer. I use Meguires speed glaze 80.

If you aren't familiar with these, you can do your own research by searching the web. I think you will find that this is probably the best way for a home-user to get scratches out of paint. Yes, it will cost you some money but I can tell you that this buffer is the #1 choice for detailing at home.

You can also try Scratch X by hand. I'll warn you now that it can be a huge amount of work by hand and the results will be mixed.

I have 2 black bikes, a black truck, and 2 dark blue cars. It would be impossible to maintain them by hand. The PC buffer is the ONLY way to go. Spend some time searching the web and you will find out for yourself.

Concerning my black bikes . . . for some reason they seem to be magnets for light scratches. I'm a picky person and I take care of my bikes. I know how to wash them and I blow them dry . . . but they still get light scratches. I don't know if it's the type of clearcoat HD uses or what. Have you noticed the same thing??? Anyone else??? Maybe it's just me.

Hope this helps.
Steve L.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 AM
crashbike310
Cruiser

PC 7424 +1

I use Lakeside orange pad & lazer buff by poor boys for mod to heavy scratches sometimes wet sand
Light poor boys for lighter scratches

Check car detail forums for best ways and products. I have dark vehicles so learning how to buff out light scuffs and paint transfer from people dinging my doors was a must.

buffer gets best results
Hand is ok have had ok luck with scratch X

Steve, I here you on the fine scratches and HD black paint. I buff major stuff as it comes up (wife's boot mark on a saddle bag lid) other than that I just wash and use Griot's paint sealer and it hides light scratches. Then once a year I give the bike a good wash, clay, buff, wax.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 AM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Unless you are familier with a buffing wheel take it to a detailer and have them buff the paint out.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to try CLAY BAR... on minor scratches it works great...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 AM
tsidewayz
Advanced

if they are scratches that are deep but not into the paint you can "color sand" the clear with 1200 grit wetsand paper.Then buff with your basic electric grinder/buffer using an "egg crate" type foam pad and 3M micro polish. Do not apply too much pressure and only long enough to polish the dull surface created by sanding with the 1200 grit paper.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

This should be in the detail section, I think, and there is more info there about scratches and what-not.
I been trying to learn about keeping black paint nice too. I'm leaning toward trying some pads and polishes by hand first. There's not much room for a polisher and I'm afraid I might mess up and create a big problem. Eventually I might get some small pads, like Orange Country, and try them by hand. I think the pads can be as important as the polish??

Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

You might want to try CLAY BAR... on minor scratches it works great...
I thought clay bars were justfor cleaning the paint, like taking grit and depositsoff the top of thepaint. I didn't think it would do anything for light scratches.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 AM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiars Scratch X works well and is readily available. Working in an auto body shop now there are tons of different products that work well too.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daboys53119

Meguiars Scratch X works well and is readily available. Working in an auto body shop now there are tons of different products that work well too.
That's what I use and with very satisfied results.

Quick Reply: Removing Scratches