Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide

Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide

Installed the Clearview windshield on my '08 Road Glide. Not particularly pleased. Here are the details with pictures:

First of all, the packaging was terrific - sturdy box, protective film, plenty of foam. Arrived on time exactly eight weeks after ordering (as advertised). The windshield is of great quality - no waves, no distortion, perfect tinting. The rubber molding is thicker, smoother, and of better quality than the piece on the stock windshield. It's about an inch wider on each side than the stock windshield.

I ordered the height one inch shorter than stock. It's angled slightly different than stock, more toward the rider. The windshield is thicker than stock and the edges are well finished. Clearview includes new wellnuts and other hardware with the windshield. The instructions are well written.

Here's a picture of the stock windshield - note the chrome trim (discussion later). Sorry to expose you to my unkempt garage

Here's the mounted Clearview at approximately the same position. This was not just a "drop in" installation. The windshield requires quite a bit of pressure to bend it to fit the mounting holes on the fairing. The instructions indicate that this is normal, and true to their description, the windshield does fit after some pretty serious pressure. Made me a little worried and I wonder why the stock windshield is such a drop in fit and the Clearview is so tight...

Because of the angle of the Clearview, the chrome trim will not fit - which I am really bummed about. I fiddled with it for over an hour, and I just can't get it to go on cleanly. You can get the screws to line up, but the angle of the Clearview causes the chrome trim to distort and looks horrible. So there's one casualty of the install and a pretty significant dissappointment.

I wish that Clearview would have at least included black screws instead of the chrome ones pictured. Cosmetically, it's not nearly as nice of an install without the chrome molding and the chrome screws stick out like a sore thumb. Notice also that the rubber trim distorts as it fits around the screw. [:'(]

Here's a pic of the front end with the Clearview mounted. Those chrome screws really jump out at you, and without the chrome trim it just looks like every other Road Glide.

Out on the road, the Clearview failed to impress me. I was experiencing some significant helmet buffeting with the stock windshield, and the Clearview did not clean that up as much as I had hoped and expected. I had a Clearview on my Road King 2" shorter than stock, and it was the best accessory I every purchased for that bike and it virtually eliminated buffeting. So when I bought the Road Glide, I ordered the Clearview the same day expecting similar results. For the record, I am 5'10" with a 34" sleeve length. I'm using stock handlebars and a stock seat. There is some improvement to windflow on the hands due to the increased width. Helmet buffeting is reduced, but not anywhere near what I had hoped. The shorter height does give me a better view of the road though. The increased thickness of the Clearview helped the windshield to not vibrate as much at highway speeds - I think this might contribute to a slight improvement in smoothness of ride. I dunno... couldn't really tell with just a 20 mile ride to test it.

Would I order it again? Nope, I don't think so. Pretty disappointed and

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide

Thanks for the honest review and I am sorry to hear that it didn't work for you as you would have hoped

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pastor John, I ride an 06 and am the same height/reach as you. I started out with the GT small like you have and put 3500 miles on that shield but I was not totally sold on that shield, so I sold it and bought the stock height. Rode another 5K with that shield and noticed that I still had head buffeting. I recently bought the GT medium in smoke and feel it is the perfect height. I still look over it and it cleaned up all of the dirty air. Just as a side note, I am running the Corbin classic solo saddle and the Heritage +2" bars from Krome Works. It has put me in the optimum riding position in assocaition with the shield.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I too have an 08' Road Glide. I am 6'1" and the wind buffeting was hammering me right at the eyes. I waited about 9 weeks to get my GT large that Clearview recommended. Just got it this afternoon. I installed it and took it for a short ride and came back because it started raining. Seemed to me that the shield cleaned up most of the dirty air. No more hitting me in the eyes but I feel a lot coming from underneath that I didn't feel before. I am sure it was there but I just didn't notice it because of the severe eye turbulance. I suppose that some lower fairings would clean that up or some of those shields that go on the forks. I think the shield is too tall but it is probably just right as I am looking right over the top. I will take it for a good fast ride in a couple of days to see how it is. I want some air or I will cook down here in the Lone Star State this summer. I can't wait to see some more reviews on the Klock Werks shields. T.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Agent Orange
Cruiser

I've got an '07 with a stock height Clearview,I am less than impressed also...I've had it onabout 6000 miles.

Hey Buddha...when did you get the smoked shield??

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im 6'4" and run a Clearview Short for a few 1000 miles now and not had that much buffeting... (Atleast nothing like the OEM Shield).. I run a Corbin Dual Tour which pushes me back and down 2" - Have lowered the front 1 1\4" with progressive and the rear dropped to 11" - I do tend to lean forward while I ride (In the days before windshields that was the only way to ride & habits are hard to break (lol)) and my seat all the way into the seat - Oh & mine came with the black replacement screws???

Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Dabaldone
Novice

I'm 6' and I ordered a medium for my Roadglide. It'sonly an inch taller than stock. I was thinking of a large, but I want to see over it. Only problem isI ordered it on November 10. I haven't gotten an email as to when it will ship. Called them the other day, they said maybe the end of this week. Hope it's worth the wait. Right now anything over 55 MPH and it feels like my head is loose.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the large clearview, big improvement over stock air wasn't trying to blow my glasses off any more but still a good bit of air then one day going down the road I happen to put my feet up on the crash bar and the air vanished almost, [sm=yikesomg.gif]move them, right back! The air I was feeling was coming up from the bottom, bought a set of used lowers off ebay and now I have a pocket of basicly still air! Insects have gotten stuck in the pocket with me so the lowers completed the package for me! I have the trim on mine, it fit better on it, then it did on my stock shield go figure
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_1322-1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_1316-1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_1626-1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_1315-1.jpg

Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I noticed the same thing. When I put my feet up on the pegs the amount of air changed. I am sure lowers would stop the air but I don't like the lowers. Do they make the fork shields for a Road Glide? T.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Sorry to hear that Pastor John, I'm expecting delivery of a 1" above factory height any day. Like you I have the chrome trim and would hate to give that up. I read a post a few months ago where someone adjusted the length of the fasteners or well nuts (unsure of correct name) and made the trim fit nicely with the clearview. You may want to search that, sorry I can't remember more specifics. Please post again if you find a fix.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/50529E120624471CAAD0AFE09F0A4D48.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide